Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wednesday Wow: A Bewitching Turn at the Hollywood Palace




From 1964 to 1970, ABC ran "The Hollywood Palace," a weekly, hourlong variety show which was broadcast from the former Hollywood Palace.  Each week, a different host preceded over the festivities.

On October 1st, 1966, the lovely Elizabeth Montgomery was the host, and this bit of magic opened the show.  Did you know that the Bewitched them had lyrics?  Though they were never used on the show, it did.  Here they are:  

Bewitched, bewitched, you've got me in your spell.
Bewitched, bewitched, you know your craft so well.

Before I knew what you were doing, I looked in your eyes.
That brand of woo that you've been brewin' Took me by surprise.

You witch, you witch! One thing that's for sure,
That stuff you pitch, Just hasn't got a cure.

My heart was under lock and key, But somehow it got unhitched.
I never thought my heart could be had.
But now I'm caught and I'm kind of glad
To be bewitched. Bewitched.



The rest of the program ran as follows:

--Elizabeth Montgomery and Vic Damone - "Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered" duet
--Vic Damone (singer) - "Falling in Love with Love" and "I Cried for You"
--Paul Lynde (comedian)  

--Jackie Mason (comedian) 
--Morgana King (singer) 
--The Baja Marimba Band - "Portuguese Washerwoman" & "Acapulco 1922" 
--Paul Anthony's tigers 
--Sensational Parker (acrobatic act) 
--The Three Robertes (acrobats)



You'll notice, ABC got Paul Lynde and as many Bewitched references as they could in there.  the show ran on ABC, so, The Hollywood Palace was a great way to promote the networks other shows.  

I find this sort of thing fascinating.  And, of course, Lizzie was lovely.

The whole thing is on YouTube.  It's worth watching.

Enjoy!



 


No comments: