Friday, March 1, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 269



Chapter 269
Uncle Punch 




She were there!” Ethel screeched, pointing at Fern who stood, wrapped in one of Lennie’s dressing gowns which trailed behind her like a train. “She were there when our Jenny…our Jenny!” Ethel was standing upon Lennie’s bed, the bedclothes pulled around herself like pale pink armor.

Fern, seemingly unfazed by this display, looked up at Violet. “Might we please just find the slippers?”

Lennie, Punch and Robert stood in the doorway of Lennie’s room, watching this curious scene.

“I…I only brought Miss Fern to Miss Lennie’s room to find somethin’ to put on her feet, Your Grace.” Violet explained anxiously. “I didn’t think of Ethel still bein’ in here.”

“It’s quite all right, Violet.” Lennie replied. “There in the wardrobe…my lavender slippers, those should be small enough.”

Violet hurried to the wardrobe, grabbed the silk slippers and rushed back to Fern.

“She were there!” Ethel screamed again, pointing at Fern. “There with that…that…that…’orrible, ‘orrible thing. It drank our Jenny’s blood, it did! Took drops of it off the knife--like feedin’ a baby bird! Two mouths, two ‘ungry mouths! And, three…three…hands.”

“I was afraid she’d seen it.” Punch whispered to Lennie.

“No wonder the poor thing is still in shock.” Lennie replied softly, recalling the child which Robert and Punch had explained to her the previous night.

Fern obviously overheard Lennie. “It’s name is Marduk.” She said dryly.

“Miss!” Ethel screamed. “Miss!”

Lennie rushed to Ethel’s side. “Do come down, Ethel. Please…” She said soothingly, extending her hand.

“Miss!” Ethel screamed. “Miss! She were there! She were with the thing!”

“I know, dear, but you mustn’t be afraid. Fern won’t hurt you. She’s not one of the bad people who harmed our Jenny.”

“Miss Lennie, please…” Ethel began to sob.

Lennie looked over her shoulder to Punch and Robert who were aware that it was the first time which Ethel seemed to recognize anyone in the house, or, at least speak their name.

“We must do somethin’, Chum.” Punch said quietly.

“I could sedate her.” Robert responded helplessly.

“No, that ain’t gonna do a thing. Not really. Only draw out the pain.” Punch whispered.

“I can’t think what else to do.” Robert replied softly. “Still, the girl shouldn’t see this.”“Violet, if you’ve gotten what you needed,” he spoke up, “please take Miss Fern back to her room.”

“Yes, Sir.” Violet replied.

“Wait.” Punch shook his head. “Not yet.”

“Dear Punch, I’m not sure…” Robert said gently.

“Chum, we can’t keep everyone locked up in their own private pain. When a body does that, it only makes the hurt worse. Like it done for Julian. Only most folk don’t have a Mr. Punch in ‘em to take care. Most folk…it just destroys ‘em. Look what it done to…” He paused. “Some folks we’ve known.”

Robert took a deep breath. “My dear, I trust your instincts implicitly.”

Punch winked at Robert and knelt down next to Fern. “Listen, my girl, you had a terrible time of it. Haven’t you?”

“Yes, Your Grace.” Fern nodded.

“So, ‘as our Ethel. You remember seein’ Ethel?”

“Yes. The night that the poor servant girl was killed by Orpha’s knife.” Fern replied calmly.

“You saw all what she did?” Punch said gently.

“Yes.”

“It was a horror, I’m sure.”

“Yes.”

“I’m awful sorry, I am, that you ‘ad to see any of that.” Punch looked into the girl’s eyes.

“So am I, Your Grace.” Fern mumbled.

“Now, you see, you’re a strong girl. I can tell. But, Ethel, she ain’t quite as brave as you. Still, she’s a good girl. Maybe you can help her to be as brave as you.”

“Isn’t she a maid?” Fern asked.

“Sure, she is. And, an important part of the household. Why, if it weren’t for Ethel, we’d have no clean china or anythin’ to eat off of. We need her, and we respect all she does. Dr. Halifax and I…we value all the folks what work in the house because they live here with us. Each one has an important place in the house, and, in our hearts. We trust ‘em, and we like ‘em, and we’re like a family even though we’re all from different places. Ain’t that right, Chum?”

“Indeed it is.” Robert nodded, watching in awe as Punch orchestrated this moment.

“See…everyone’s from a different place. And, everyone is different. I’m a Duke , but I’m also not like any other Duke. Ya know? I’m Mr. Punch, too. I make jewels for the Queen, but I like to play with me puppets and such, too. Dr. Halifax helps sick folk and does serious work, but, he also likes to play games and read poems. He comes from a different place, too. Lennie has had a different sort of life than me, but she’s me sister. We’re all different. What a body does, what their name is—none o’ that matters as much as who a person is. That’s the way we run this house. We’re all a family even though we’re different. Same goes for Ethel, and Violet, and Speaight and Charles and Gamilla and Gerard…and all the others…” He smiled. “You see?”

Fern replied, “I see.” She looked a bit more relaxed.

Even Ethel had calmed down at the sound of Punch’s voice and, thought she still stood rigidly atop the bed, had stopped crying.

“Fern, you’re part of that family now.” Mr. Punch said. “Dr. Halifax and me, we’re gonna look after you and you’ll live here with us. We’ll call you Fern Halifax. Dr. Halifax wanted you to take his name. I know this all must be confusin’, and I know you miss your mama what’s in heaven now, but do ya understand?”

“I do.”

“Would you like to be here with us?”

“I would, Your Grace.” Fern said.

“I’m glad of it, I am. I’m glad you’ll be part of the family. Since you will, you must call Dr. Halifax ‘Uncle Robert,’ and Miss Lennie, you can call her ‘Auntie Lennie.’”

“What shall I call you, Your Grace?”

“When it’s just us in the ‘ouse—our family, you may call me ‘Uncle Punch.’ When other folks is about or we’re out, you may call me ‘Uncle Molliner.’”

“I see.” Fern nodded.

“I know you’re sad right now.” Punch said. “We’re all sad for ya, we are. We’re sad also because we lost someone what we cared for, and we’re sad that you had to suffer. But, we’ll all survive it, together, if we look after one another. See?”

Fern nodded.

“That includes the staff because they’re our friends. Ethel’s seen some o’ them terrible things what you saw, she has. And, she’s scared, and she’s sad. Our Jenny were like her sister, she was. You just lost your mama, and she just lost a sister. Understand?”

“Yes, Uncle Punch.” Fern replied, her face softening a bit.

“You trust your Uncle Punch, then?”

Fern nodded again.

“Then, will ya take me hand?” Punch offered his hand.

Fern reached up and put her small hand in Punch’s.

“Come with me, and we’ll sit on the edge of the bed and talk to Ethel.”

Fern stood still.

“I promise you that nothin’ bad is gonna ‘appen.” Punch smiled.

Fern allowed Punch to lead her.

They sat on the edge of the bed at such an angle as they could both look up at Ethel.

“Hullo, Ethel.” Punch smiled at the girl. “I stand on the bed, too, sometimes. Sometimes, I crawl under it, too. Don’t I, Chum?” Punch looked to Robert for encouragement.

Robert walked over and stood by the bed, followed by Lennie. Both of them were mesmerized by Punch’s handling of the situation. Violet, too, stood silently watching with tears in her eyes.

“You do, dear Punch. I’ve found you many a time under the bed playing with Dog Toby.” Robert responded.

“When I was a girl,” Lennie added, “I would do the same.”

“I’m glad to see ya up, Ethel,” Punch began, “only, like Dr. Halifax is always tellin’ me, it ain’t so steady to stand on the bed. Maybe you oughta come down and sit with us.”

“She were there!” Ethel groaned.

“I know it, Ethel.” Punch said encouragingly. “She’s seen all them same awful things what you have. Her name is Fern, and, she’s come to live here. Fern and you…you got much in common in many ways. Her mama is gone. Maybe she’s scared and sad, too, is Fern. Maybe you two can be friends and talk to one another ‘bout them things what scared ya.”

“I remember when I was your age Ethel,” Robert joined in. “My mother and father had both died and all I had in the world was my brother Cecil. When we were frightened, we’d talk to one another. Even though it didn’t change the things which frightened us, or make them go away, we didn’t feel as frightened of them anymore because we knew we were together.”

“Sure,” Punch nodded. “And, that’s what Dr. Halifax and me do. When we’re sad or whatnot, we talk and help one another. Miss Lennie, too.”

“Just being here in this house,” Lennie smiled at Fern, and, then looked up to Ethel. “Just knowing I have these wonderful people to love and to love me has taken away so much of the pain which weighed me down all my life.”

Ethel’s shoulders sagged.

“Take my hand, Ethel.” Lennie smiled again. “Take my hand and come and sit with us. Come and meet Miss Fern. She needs someone like you with whom she can talk. She’s a little girl and needs someone a little older in whom she can confide. Only you know what she’s seen, and only she knows what you’ve experienced.”

Ethel reached out and took Lennie’s hand. Lennie gently helped Ethel down, and seated her next to Punch.

“Now, then.” Punch grinned. “Here’s our Ethel. Ain’t that more comfortable?”

“Y…yes, Your Grace.” Ethel whispered.

“We miss hearing your happy chatter waftin’ up the stairs from the servants’ hall, Ethel.” Punch replied. “I’d like to hear it again.”

Ethel began to cry.

“You cry all you want, then.” Punch said.

Lennie sat next to them, and put her arm around Ethel’s shoulders.

“Ethel, this young lady is called Fern. She’s…she’s to be our niece, mine and Dr. Halifax’s.”

From his spot near the bed, Robert added. “Fern Halifax.”

Finally, Fern smiled—even if just very slightly.

Mr. Punch stood up. “Why don’t you sit next to our Ethel, Fern?”

Fern nodded and moved over slightly.

“Sometimes when I’m frightened, I will take Mr. Punch’s hand in mine.” Robert urged the girl. “It comforts me. Perhaps you could do that for Ethel.”

“Good morning, Ethel.” Fern said quietly. “May I take your hand?”

Ethel nodded, reaching for Fern’s hand.

“You’re both safe now.” Punch said firmly. “You’re safe here in your home and nothin’ is gonna get to ya here.”

Lennie rose to stand next to Robert and Punch. “We won’t let it.”

“We promise.” Robert added.

They watched the two girls look at one another. Both sobbed, but held tightly to each other’s hands.

“It was awful!” Fern wailed.

“It was.” Ethel sniffed.

Punch turned slightly and over his shoulder whispered to Violet. “Get some tea, will you, please? And, tell the others that we’re all going to be all right.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-268 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them
here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 270. 





4 comments:

Darcy said...

Outstanding chapter! A very touching scene.
Mr. Punch has grown so much from his beginnings in "Punch's Cousin". He is intent in keeping his little family together and have them all safe and content. And he knows how to go about doing it.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy! Those who have followed Mr. Punch since "Punch's Cousin" would probably have never thought he'd end up being the voice of reason in the family.

Matt said...

I love the way Punch handled this family crisis!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Matt.