Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cookie of the Day: Pfefferneuse


Pfefferneuse




Each year, my mother always makes a deliciously interesting assortment of Christmas cookies which range from American treats to beloved family recipes to traditions from around the world. Among this collection of favorites are pfefferneuse. The name of these traditional Dutch cookies translates to “Pepper Nuts” and refers to the spiciness of the biscuits. Traditionally, pfefferneusen contain ground nuts and black pepper, along with cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. They’re dusted with a snowy coating of confectioners’ sugar. 


Usually, these tender, flavorful cookies are handed out during “Sinterklaas,” on December 5-6, a feast during which children receive gifts from St. Nicholas. These cookies are also made in Germany during the Christmas season. 

I really like everything about them, from the texture and bite to the spicy taste. If you’d like to incorporate this Dutch (and German and Austrian) tradition into your holiday fare, there are many different recipes online which show how different regions and countries make this delicious treat.

14 comments:

April said...

My dad used to bring me these when I was a kid. I could eat dozens of 'em.

Gene said...

These are a favorite of mine.

Barb said...

I love spice cake and spice cookies. I would love these.

Matt said...

I have German relatives who make those. I love them too.

Sam P said...

They look really tasty! I wonder what tomorrow's will be! Will we still get the cottage cake? I like looking at that! I like little houses you can eat.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Yes, Sam. I suspect we will. Didn't you ask me last year, too?

Carolyn said...

I want some of those too! It's a good thing I'm not invited to Christmas dinner, I'd eat your poor mom and dad out of house and home.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I'm glad that sentence finished with "out of house and home."

Sam P said...

I may have. I know some other guy did too. A lot of us eat vicariously through your website.

Book Gurl said...

They are a favorite in our house as well!

Beth Ann said...

I always make these, but mine dont look as pretty.

Doug said...

I have only gotten them at the bakery. I would like to try baking them.

Mary said...

What a wonderful job!

Angelo said...

They look real good.