Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 191




Chapter 191
A Wardrobe 



And, here’s your room.” Mr. Punch beamed as he showed Lennie to the chamber to which all referred as “The Gold Bedroom.”

“Oh,” Lennie gasped as she entered the room. “It’s too fine.”

“Certainly not.” Robert interrupted. “We just hope you’ll be comfortable here.”

“I never saw anything like it.” Lennie wiped her eyes.

“If there’s anything what ya don’t like, or what ya want changed, jus’ let me know.” Mr. Punch smiled.

“I never want to see a thing changed in this room.” Lennie replied emotionally.

“’Til we can get ya a proper lady’s maid, Vi will attend ya.” Mr. Punch continued.

“Oh, I don’t wish to put her out.” Lennie shook her head. “I’m perfectly capable of looking after myself.”

“Lennie,” Robert smiled, “it’s best not to fight it. His Grace insists that our household run properly. I wasn’t keen on the idea of a valet at first, but now, well…I find I’m quite lost without one.”

“Still, Violet must have other duties…”

“Yes.” Mr. Punch nodded. “But, only temporarily. Since Gamilla’s gonna be in the nursery full time, she is, we’re gonna have to find someone to act as upper house maid anyway. We’ll add two girls to the staff. One to replace Gamilla and one to be your maid. If Vi proves useful to ya and you want to keep her, she can remain as your maid and we’ll hire on a different parlor maid.”

“That would be quite a rise for her.” Lennie replied thoughtfully. “I do hope she excels at it.” Lennie’s expression changed.

“Is something wrong?” Robert asked.

“No. Well…it’s just that I’ve not had very good luck with maids in the past.”

“No, you haven’t.” Robert sighed.

Punch changed the subject quickly. “We’ll leave you to explore your new home, but I thought that after luncheon we could take you to one of the fine dressmakers and commission a wardrobe for you.”

“Oh, no.” Lennie shook her head. “You’ve already done too much. I’m quite comfortable with what I have.”

“You’ve one dress.” Mr. Punch chirped. “And, you’ve been wearin’ it for how many days? You ain’t even got a proper sleepin’ gown or nothin’. Now, let’s be practical.”

“But, I don’t want you spending your money on me.”

“Money I got plenty of.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “I only got one sister.” He paused. “Well, two.”

“I don’t mean to bring up a sensitive topic, however…”

“You want to know if Lady Barbara is still living?” Robert smiled slightly.

“Well, yes.” Lennie replied.

“She is.” Mr. Punch nodded. “She remained in America. She’s the one what gave birth to Colin. Dr. Halifax and me…well, we thought it best to say she’d died. Hers is a life of ill-repute. She’s no longer Lady Barbara. She calls herself ‘Barbara Allen.’”

“Like the song?” Lennie asked.

“And, just as cruel.” Robert muttered. “Perhaps one day we’ll tell Colin that she’s still alive, but for now, it’s best everyone forgets her.”

“But…” Lennie began.

“The Duchess of Fallbridge is truly deceased.” Mr. Punch interrupted. “She won’t bother us no more.”

Lennie nodded.

“Now, this is a happy homecoming.” Mr. Punch said excitedly. “So, we ain’t gonna dwell on the past.”

“Of course.” Lennie said.

“We’ll be looking in on Gerard to make sure he’s been properly settled-in.” Robert said. “Mrs. Pepper informed us that luncheon will be served at noon.”

“It were good of Mr. Hutchinson to see the larder stocked.” Mr. Punch grinned.

“Yes, he’s done quite a fine job managing the household during our absence.” Robert nodded.

“We told Speaight to take a day of rest, so Charles will serve. We’ll come for ya when it’s time. In the meantime, be thinkin’ ‘bout what kind of fine silks and satins you might want to have.”

“Thank you.” Lennie said sincerely.

“Until later, then.” Robert nodded.

“Wait!” Lennie said quickly as the men were leaving her room.

“Yes?” Robert raised his eyebrows.

“I feel that my expressions of gratitude are insufficient.” Lennie replied shyly.

“Nonsense.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “It’s what kin does.”

“Would you forgive me if I asked for a favor?” Lennie asked.

“Of course.” Robert nodded.

“After luncheon…I’d be very grateful if we could…”

“Go see Roger?” Mr. Punch suggested.

“Yes.” Lennie answered hopefully.

Robert and Mr. Punch exchanged glances.

Robert took a deep breath. “You may find him changed.”

“I expect to.” Lennie sighed. “I…I owe him an apology, too. My own shock and fear and insecurity…I…I left him in the charge of that woman. I was selfish. I was confused and frightened when I learned the truth about myself and, for awhile, I lost myself…I…”

“Remember, this is a happy day,” Mr. Punch warned.

“I know, Mr. Punch…”

“If it pleases you, when can visit Roger on the way to the dressmakers, but…”

“Just know that he’s, well…variable. Ain’t no tellin’ who you’re gonna see.”

“Most importantly, I’d like him to see me. Perhaps it’s also selfish, but I want him to know that I’m here should he need me.”

“We’’ll see that he does.” Robert replied.

“I can’t thank you enough.” Lennie gulped.

“Sure you can. You already did.” Mr. Punch shrugged.



Did you miss Chapters 1-190 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 192.


No comments: