Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 175




Chapter 175
Your Name is On Their Nails 



What are you gonna do to me?” Finlay asked with more than a hint of legitimate fear creaking in his voice.

“Well,” Gamilla shrugged, sitting down on the cold, stone floor next to Finlay. “That done falls upon you to decide, Finlay Donnan.”

“How?” Finlay asked.

“See…” Gamilla set the small earthenware vessel and leather pouch on the floor just in Finlay’s sight. “It depends on a good many things.”

“Such as?”

“These things here,” Gamilla pointed to the items on the floor in front of her. “They got questions in ‘em.”

“I don’t understand you.”

“Cuz you ain’t lettin’ me talk, Finlay. You’ll have a chance to say all ya want, but right now, I’m talkin’. And, you—you’re listenin’.” Gamilla frowned.

Finlay nodded.

“This little bottle here…” Gamilla continued. “What do you think it is?”

Finlay sniffed.

“Now’s one o’ the times you can talk.” Gamilla narrowed her eyes.

“I don’t know.”

“Didn’t think ya would.” Gamilla shook her head. “Now, turn your head to the side.”

“Why?”

“Do it.” Gamilla said in a deep voice.

“If I don’t?”

“It’ll be worse.” Gamilla replied.

“First tell me what’s in there.”

“You ain’t in a position to command me, Finlay Donnan.” Gamilla snapped. “But, since I’m a gentle woman, I’ll tell ya anyway. It’s a mixture my mama done taught me to make. It’s somethin’ her mama made, and her mama before her, and so on. See, Finlay, it knows what’s in your heart. Any man or woman who takes this mixture will have all that’s in his heart revealed.”

Finlay’s lip began to quiver. “Is it poison?”

“What do you think?” Gamilla asked. “You’re the one who knows all ‘bout poisons. Right? That’s what Mr. Speaight done tol’ me.”

“You said you wouldn’t kill me.”

“I ain’t gonna.” Gamilla shook her head. “Not exactly. I just want to know what’s in your heart, Finlay Donnan. Can ya tell me what’s in your heart?”

“Fear.”

“Is that so?” Gamilla nodded. “I thought it’d be hate. But, hate and fear are bosom friends, I reckon. So, you got fear inside ya, Finlay? What’s a big, smart man like you afraid of?”

“Same things any man who’s different fears.”

“Any man who’s different?” Gamilla raised her eyebrows. “What ‘bout the Duke? He’s different. Are them things you fear the same as those he does?”

“Probably.” Finlay whimpered. “Only he didn’t have a pa what beat ‘im.”

“No. He didn’t. But, he had a mama who done beat him—not just with hands. And, he had a nanny who done terrible things to ‘im. Don’t know all what, but, I know some of ‘em. Many folk have done awful things to the Duke. Even you. Do you think he’s afraid?”

“Yes.”

“He don’t seem afraid.”

“Why is he the way he is, then? Why does he think he’s Punchinello?”

“Well, that’s cuz the Duke found a way to face his fears. A way that didn’t make other people die, and feel pain, and feel their own fear.”

“Fine, he’s a better man than I.” Finlay retorted. “It’s easy to be better when you got piles of gold in your coffers and you got the Queen wrapped ‘round your finger.”

“That ain’t why he’s a better man than you.” Gamilla chuckled. “What else is in your heart, Finlay.”

“That’s all.”

“Fear—that’s all that’s inside you?”

“Yes.”

“We’ll see about that.” Gamilla nodded. “Tilt your head to the side.”

“Which side?”

“Face away from me.”

“What are you gonna do?”

“I already told ya. I’m gonna let these things ask their questions.”

“How?” Finlay whimpered.

“You’ll see.” Gamilla said firmly. “Move you head to the side.”

“No.”

“It’ll only be worse if you don’t.”

Finlay did as instructed.

“This may feel cold in your ear.” Gamilla said softly.

Finlay flinched.

“Don’t move. We don’t want to spill it.”

Finlay began to shiver.

“Now, I ain’t done nothin’ yet.” Gamilla sighed. “What you shakin’ for?”

“Are you gonna pour that into my ear?”

“It’s the only way. Since you can’t reveal all that’s in your heart, I gotta let the mixture ask its questions.”

“I’ll tell you.” Finlay shouted, his head darting up. “I’ll tell you! Please. Please don’t put that in my ear.”

“What are you gonna tell me, Finlay Donnan?”

“What’s in my heart.”

“That’s just the first part of it, Finlay.” Gamilla said, tapping the leather pouch with her index finger.

“I’ll do whatever you want.”

“We’ll see if you will.” Gamilla nodded.

“I will. I swear it!”

“If you don’t, into your ear this goes.”

“What about that?” He gestured to the pouch with his chin. “Where does that go?”

“Where do ya think?”

“My eyes?”

“Might be.” Gamilla nodded. “Depends on what’s in your heart.”

“Please, Gamilla.” Finlay pleaded.

“You’d best start talkin’, then.” Gamilla grinned. “I can hear the questions in these vessels scratchin’ to get out. Just scratchin’. Your name is on their nails.”

“I’ll tell you anything you want to know. I’ll do anything you ask.” Finlay began to sob.

“I knew you would.” Gamilla smiled.



Did you miss Chapters 1-174? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 176 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.


No comments: