Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 172




Chapter 172
Play Mute 



No, Sir.” Charles whispered, clamping a hand on Punch’s shoulder. “Not yet.”

“But, Charlie…” Punch protested in a hiss.

“Give it a few minutes.” Charles replied softly. “The woman knows what she’s doing.”

Mr. Punch shook his head and looked pleadingly at Robert. “Chum…”

Robert nodded. “I agree with Charles.”

“Aw, Chum.” Punch frowned.

“My dear, I know you’re concerned about Lennie, but we must trust her instincts.”

“But, she’s my kin.” Punch replied.

“And, you’re mine. And, Collin’s. I can’t…” Robert coughed emotionally. “You…I can’t let you rush in there and…”

Punch sighed. “Very well, but if there’s any sign of more trouble, I’m…”

“Yes, of course, dear Punch.” Robert answered.

Punch wrung his hands together, twisting the ring that Robert had given him. He pressed his back against the cold wall of the stables and squinted into the growing light of the dawn.

The three men breathed shallowly, trying not to make a sound so they could hear all that went on inside.

They could hear Lennie’s voice—measured and theatrical—as she gasped.

“I…” Lennie stammered. “I’d heard you were dead.”

“From whom?” Ellen glowered.

“From the Duke’s man and that blonde maid.” Lennie looked toward Johnny Donnan. “This man brought them to the cottage where you’d been keeping me.”

“Not keeping very well.” Ellen sighed, rubbing her head.

“How did you get out?”

“The Duke and his companion, they found us.”

“Did they?” Ellen’s eyes widened. “And, you went with them?”

“I had no choice.” Lennie replied stiffly. “What could I have done? Have I made a mistake? Are you upset?”

“Dear, dear…you know I just want you to be safe. You know I’m only thinking of your well-being. That’s why I secured you in the cottage. I brought you here to be near me—so I’d know you were safe. The Duke is utterly mad and he has close ties to the Crown. There’s no telling what sort of henchmen he can employ. If he ever discovered that it was…” She paused and winced. Taking a deep breath, she began again. “If he ever discovered your secret, dear, dear…Orpha…he’d surely harm you.”

“I see.” Lennie replied dryly.

“Lass, what’s this one’s secret? Who is she to you?” Johnny asked, apparently unaware of “Ellen’s” deception.

“She’s called ‘Orpha,’ Father. She was my maid once, and a nurse to Roger.” Ellen lied.

“I see. Loyal to her, are ya?” Johnny grunted.

“Oh, I am.” Ellen forced a smile. “We’ve always been such bosom friends. Isn’t that right, Orpha?”

Lennie smiled and waited several seconds before responding—several grueling seconds for “Ellen” who feared that Lennie would reveal the truth.

“It is true,” Lennie replied slowly. “We’ve always been dear friends.”

“Still don’t understand why the Duke would want to harm her. What’s her secret?” Johnny squinted.

“Her friendship with me, Father.” Ellen answered. “If the Duke knew of our connection, he might wish to exact his power over her to try to control me. After all, he did try to kill me.”

“Aye.” Johnny grumbled.

“How rude, I am.” Ellen said quickly. “You must forgive me, I’m still quite disoriented from…from the blow to my head. Father, this is Orpha Polk. Orpha, I’d like to introduce my father, Mr. Donnan.”

Lennie nodded. “We’ve met.”

“Sorry if I was rough with ya, girl.” Johnny muttered, looking at the hay on the floor. “I did no’ know you was friend to my girl. All I knew is that I was to take you to the cottage.”

Lennie nodded again.

“Surely you’re pleased to see me alive and well?” Ellen began.

“Oh, yes, pardon my scream, it was just a shock.” Lennie replied. “But, whatever do you intend to do? Now that the Duke has been told you’re his sister, and after what he’s done to you…”

“My father is helping me.” Ellen interrupted.

“To do what?” Lennie asked.

“To find my place in the Duke’s household.”

“He doesn’t seem an unreasonable man, the Duke.” Lennie shook her head.

“You spoke with him?” Ellen frowned.

“Well, yes, when he and his companion found us, he questioned me. I couldn’t play mute.”

“What did you tell him?”

Lennie bit her lip, unsure if she wanted to instigate her own deception on Ellen. “I…I told him simply that I was one of the maids hired from a nearby estate for the ball and that I’d gotten lost. I told him that I’d found my way into to cottage, but couldn’t find my way out.”

“Oh, good.” Ellen inhaled.

“Now that we’ve found one another again,” Lennie said. “I’m so relieved. Let me help you, too. As it was when we were girls, Ellen, anything that concerns you, concerns me. Let me help you as you’ve helped me in the past.”

Ellen paused and narrowed her eyes.

“I do owe you much,” Lennie continued.

“Yes,” Ellen smiled. “You do.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-172 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 174.

No comments: