Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday Fun: Punch and Judy Re-booted, 2012








I don't know how I feel about this.  In 2012, in conjunction with Mr. Punch's 350th birthday, Gold TV decided to give him a "re-boot" or a 21st Century makeover to make sure that he remains relatable and relevant to the present day.  

On one hand, no one wants the Punch and Judy tradition to continue for centuries to come more than I.  I know that Punch has evolved over the previous centuries.  If he hadn't, he wouldn't be Mr. Punch, he'd still be Pulcinella--if that.  I understand that Punch and his friends have always been used for the purposes of communication and that they've incorporated current events and popular figures in order to do so.  So, it makes sense that Punch should be reinvented from time to time.  And, I can see that this group has taken care to maintain important elements of the long tradition.

However, to see Punch with a mod haircut and wearing a tracksuit and ball cap...it just...it rubs me the wrong way.  I am aware that I prefer my art, surroundings, and, yes, even my puppets to be Victorian.  My ideal Mr. Punch is by no means the original Mr. Punch.  He's a creation of the early-to-mid Nineteenth Century.  But, a tracksuit?  At least he still looks like Punch in the face.

Let's see what you think. 

In the end, anything that keeps Punch alive for another 350 years is not something with which I care to argue.  




No comments: