Thursday, September 6, 2012

Object of the Day, Caption Contest: A Trade Card for Niagara Corn Starch

Click image for more raspberry goodness.



Niagara Corn Starch, it seems, was “Pure and Sweet.” So, in order to reinforce this idea, the company, around 1880, produced a series of trade cards which featured images of wholesome innocence. Who better to say, “Purity” than an angelic-faced young lass. With her little mouth and wide eyes she personifies the Victorian concept of virtue.

I’m not sure why she’s wearing a garland of raspberries. I suppose that’s to make sure that we know she’s sweet. I can’t imagine that a raspberry hat and scarf would be too comfortable. Look closely at her. She’s projecting virtuousness, yes, but, isn’t there a hint of, “Get this thing off of me” beneath it all?

Maybe it’s just me.

Let’s see what you think. Offer your captions and ideas in the comments section.

18 comments:

Dashwood said...

I'm ever so much happier now that a raspberry thorn has penetrated my brain. And when I look up I think I actually can see an angel...

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ha! That's what it looks like! She's having a St. Teresa of Avila moment.

April said...

It's better than the crown of pineapples she usually wears.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Oh, yeah, the one with the artichoke centerpiece.

Matt said...

The failed prototype for fruit of the loom.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ouch.

Angelo said...

That's so funny. I don't have anything else.

Joseph Crisalli said...

We're just glad you're here, Angelo.

Darcy said...

Oh well , this raspberry crown thingy is itchy, but, it's better than the beard of bees the the people from the organic honey council wanted me to wear.

Darcy said...

Yikes! I wonder if there really is an "Organic Honey Council." I can only imagine that their trade card would be just as you describe!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Sorry, Darcy, I was typing your name into the comment as in

"Darcy, Yikes..."

And, I accidently overwrote my own name. The above comment is from me.

Gene said...

The thorns had medicated tips to keep her sedated.

Joseph Crisalli said...

That explains it.

Sam P said...

I wonder if Corn Starch was a Victorian euphemism for Valium.

Book Gurl said...

It's hard for a girl with no lower half to get a modeling job. She would have endured anything.

Joseph Crisalli said...

A true pioneer.

Marsha said...

The vine is made of poison ivy.

Joseph Crisalli said...

As it should be.