Saturday, September 1, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 129



Chapter 129:
Contempt



Gerard coughed when he saw the Countess Hamish. She hadn’t just been stabbed, she’d been…for want of a better word, Gerard thought, butchered.

Robert exhaled and looked up at Gerard.

“I feel bad for Lady Lensdown,” Gerard said softly. “She’s a nice lady, and, I’d hate to think that she saw this.”

Robert nodded. “Someone truly hated the Countess. This is an act of utter contempt and cruelty.”

“I know we ain’t supposed to speak ill of the dead, but...”

“No, I know. Still,” Robert sighed. “No one deserves this.”

“What do we do, Sir?” Gerard asked.

Robert rose from the body of the Countess and inhaled again. “I don’t quite know. My initial thought is that we need to move the woman, but, if we do, we might be risking the removal of something which could give us an idea of who did this. Until light of day, we can’t really see everything with which we might be dealing.”

“We could cover her up,” Gerard suggested.

“Yes.” Robert replied. He looked around the dark room. “There is, I think, in the window seat, a blanket which His Grace was using when Colin was in here earlier today.”

“Oh, yes.” Gerard nodded. “Put it there me-self. I remember His Grace sayin’ he didn’t like the color.” He went to the window seat nestled behind the drapes which framed a bay of leaded-glass windows. Gerard removed the blanket and unfolded it. He and Robert covered the countess’ corpse.

“Any idea who done this, Sir?” Gerard asked.

Robert shook his head. “No.”

“Do ya think it’s the same person what killed our poor Mrs. North?”

“It could be,” Robert sniffed. “But, I can’t imagine why.”

Robert walked to the other end of the room and settled into one of the plush armchairs. Leaning forward, he put his elbows on his knees and cradled his head in his heads.

“Sir?” Gerard asked as he followed the doctor.

Robert looked up and gestured to the chair across from him in the dark room. “Go on and sit, Gerry.”

Gerard nodded and did as he was asked.

“May I ask what you’re thinkin’, Sir?”

“You may, however, I’m at a loss as to how best describe my thoughts at present. This was meant to be a joyful evening. Yet, it’s turned into a tragedy. I’m heartbroken for Mrs. North, and, though there was no love lost between me and the Countess Hamish, I can’t help but feel sympathy for Lady Constance at having lost her mother.”

“It’s gonna be hard to keep Lady Constance from here, Sir.”

“I know.” Robert grumbled. “But, we can’t let that woman see her mother like this.”

Gerard shrugged. “I think maybe she should see her ma, Sir.”

“Do you?”

“Sure.” Gerard nodded. “I think maybe Lady Constance is stronger than she looks.”

“Could be.”

“When I lost my ma,” Gerard continued. “I didn’t get to see her.”

“Oh?” Robert raised his eyebrows.

“Pastor said that she was too beat up.” Gerard replied. “See—she’d.” He paused. “She’d been drowned. Lost for awhile, but…” He gulped. “They found her.” He shook his head. “I wanted to see her…dunno why, but the Pastor said I shouldn’t. I always regretted it, Sir.”

“I do understand,” Robert nodded. “My own mother died in…hospital. We weren’t told immediately, and Cecil and I…” He coughed. “I do understand. I’m not suggesting that Lady Constance not be allowed to view her mother, but, I do think we should not let her see this bloody mess.”

Gerard nodded.

They sat in silence for a few moments.

“We can’t let anyone leave.” Robert shook his head, finally speaking.

“Should I talk to Mr. Speaight? We can open the guest rooms for the ladies and gentleman and make space in the Servants’ Hall for the others.”

“We’ll have to.” Robert whispered. “Though I hate the idea of keeping a murderer or murderers—not to mention thieves—in the house with His Grace and Colin. Well, frankly, as well as the rest of you.”

“But, we can’t let whoever done this get away with it.”

“I know.” Robert scowled. “I don’t even know about the constabulary in this part of the world. Who do we contact?”

“Dunno, Sir.” Gerard answered. “I reckon His Grace does.”

“And, how am I going to tell him about this?” Robert mumbled. “How will he handle it?”

“His Grace is the strongest man I know,” Gerard said. “I’ll bet he’ll be better with it than we done.”

Robert smiled slightly. “Probably so.”

“See,” Gerard continues. “His Grace knows what he’s feelin’ an’ he ain’t scared to let his ‘motions show unlike most folk.”

“That’s very true.”

“I think by lettin’ his feelin’s show, he’s…he’s…”

“He’s able to deal with more than most.” Robert suggested.

“Yes, Sir.”

“It’s curious, isn’t it? Look at His Grace. People call him mad, and, yet, he’s innately stable because of the very thing for which people condemn him. And, then, you’ve got a man like Baron Lensdown who didn’t move a muscle to comfort his terrorized wife. Would most call him mad—this cruel being? No. Yet, we have a loving, intelligent, compassionate creature who, by nature of being different, is ridiculed while a man with no heart whatsoever is left to a life of utter freedom.”

“Ain’t right, Sir.” Gerard sighed.

“I suppose that I should make some kind of statement to our guests.” Robert stood up. “Will you coordinate with Speaight to see about lodging for them?”

“Yes, Doctor.” Gerard replied.

“Will you extinguish the lamp?” Robert pointed to the oil lamp which someone had lit prior to their entry—he assumed it had been Lady Lensdown.

Gerard went to the lamp, and as the flame extinguished and a shroud of blackness fell across the room, he felt a hand clamp over his mouth.

Unable to scream, Gerard tried to fight against the person who held him so tightly, but he was unable to break free.

Though Dr. Halifax was merely feet away, Gerard succumbed to the sharp pain in his back.



Did you miss Chapters 1-128? If so, you can read them here. Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square will be back on Tuesday, September 4 with Chapter 130. Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

Darcy said...

Another great chapter with a very scary cliff hanger.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy!