Monday, August 27, 2012

Treat of the Week: A Beautiful Peach and Blueberry Galette




Yesterday, here, was quite rainy and dim. But, I must confess that when I visited my parents, things turned much cheerier, especially when we sat down to a comforting meal of Salisbury Steak, homemade four-cheese baked macaroni and cheese and fresh broccoli. 



The day got even better when I saw the dessert—a truly stunning galette.

To me, one of the most attractive pastries is a galette. This informal French creation is part pie, part crusty cake and, sort of, part pancake. In essence, it’s a large portion of dough folded over a filling and baked with a glaze of egg and sugar on top. 



I always enjoy a galette, but I especially liked this one as it featured two of my favorite fruit combinations—fresh blueberries and fresh peaches. With a hint of cinnamon, the fruit was perfectly seasoned and had been baked to the ideal texture. When joined with a gorgeously tender and short crust, the result is utter bliss.

A rather gloomy Sunday turned out to be quite bright and brilliant after all.



13 comments:

Sam P said...

Now I'm craving this whole meal. It's so pretty.

Barb said...

Oh, oh, oh! I love it!

Matt said...

That looks so good. I can almost taste it. And now I want mac and cheese!!!

April said...

You eat too well. When am I going to see the wrapper from a burrito or something? I want beautiful food, too.

Joseph Crisalli said...

April--I eat well once a week. Sadly, not every day is a lovely feast.

Marsha said...

I jumped right to the treat when I saw the picture. I need to try a galette. it looks so nice.

Carolyn said...

Just the picture is making my mouth water. I'll bet that the galette smells absolutely yumsy and heavenly!

Gene said...

I would eat the whole thing.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You could try. I would not let you. But, you could try.

Kathy said...

2 2 2 beautifulllllll.

Book Gurl said...

I agree with everyone. The galette is amazing.

Beth Ann said...

I think it all looks so good,

Bonnie said...

What a nice looking dinner.