Friday, August 10, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 110



Chapter 110: 
The Valets 



"Maybe we shoulda worn costumes, Chum." Mr. Punch sighed as he studied his reflection in the glass.

"We're wearing kilts with formal white tie." Robert chuckled. "I think that counts as a costume."

"Not here, Chum." Punch shook his head. "This is just regular evening attire here. It don't count as fancy dress."

"Maybe so, but it's fancy enough for me." Robert teased.

"I shoulda brought our disguises what we wore to the New Year's ball. We coulda been Mr. Punch and the Doctor."

"We’re already Mr. Punch and the Doctor.”

“You know what I mean.” Mr. Punch snorted. “From the puppet show. They was fine costumes, they was.”

“Yes, they were. However, we don't have them anymore, my dear." Robert smiled. “Remember?”

"Oh...that's right, it is. All our things was burned up on the ship. What a pity. Least we had to forethought to save me jewelry case."

"I lost my favorite long coat in that blaze. I've never found another which fit as well."

"All your coats fit beautifully, Chum."

"I think you're a bit biased, but, thank you."

"See, ain't the coat what makes it fit well, it's you underneath it." Punch winked.

"And, I like you, too." Robert grinned. He reached over and adjusted Punch's tie. “I must say, you look quite handsome. I’m glad that we’re not in fancy dress. It gives me a chance to see you as you are. Besides, it was you who suggested that we not dress up so that the servants can be the focus of the ball.”

“True.” Mr. Punch smiled. “They’re gonna have a good time, they are. I just know it.”

“I’m sure they are.” Robert nodded.

“Just before I come up here, I seen Charles and Gerry carryin’ their clothes to their rooms. I think Charlie felt funny not doin’ his job this evenin’.”

“Gerard seemed hesitant to leave us to our own devices as well.” Robert chuckled.

"But, you know, Chum, I think we done quite well dressin' ourselves tonight." Punch smiled.

"I concur." Robert nodded. "Isn't it funny? Until I met you, I had to dress myself without the aid of a valet for my entire life. Suddenly, after a year of having a man, I've become almost unable to groom myself without assistance."

"That's what happens," Punch nodded. "Keeps us a bit like infants. The most powerful and influential men and women in Britain don't know now to take a bath on their own." He giggled. "I think we should be most proud of ourselves for doin' it on our own."

"Well, there is some satisfaction affixing one’s own collar. Frankly, I don’t know how Charles and Gerard can stand us sometimes. They both deserve more than this evening off."

"I know they do." Punch agreed. "When we get back to London, we gotta be better 'bout givin' them their afternoons out. Still, I think tis is gonna be a grand evenin' for 'em both. Gerry's sure excited and I think Charles is, too."

"Yes. He's just a tad more inscrutable than Gerard. You know, Gerard confessed to me that he was nearly bursting with anticipation to put on his fancy dress. They agreed to valet for each other--as Gerard said, 'like proper gentlemen.' I think it's quite nice how they get on now."

"It is." Punch replied. "And, Gerry wasn't still upset 'bout Gamilla?"

"Concerned, I think. Not upset. But, he's been checking on her all day. I have a feeling that everyone has decided to put all of their troubles out of their respective heads tonight and enjoy themselves."

"I hope so." Punch grinned. "Coo! I gotta say that I'm excited me-self."

"You're most excited about the grand cake that Mrs. Pepper and Jenny made."

"Well, yes." Punch blushed. "But, I'm also excited that our boy is gonna get to go to a fine party, and that our chums is gonna have a break and get to enjoy themselves. And, one more thing."

"What's that?"

"I'm gonna dance with you."

Robert smiled sweetly. "We couldn't."

"Why not?"

"Well, it's just not..."

"Listen, Chum, this is our house. And it's our ball. We can do what we want."

"I haven't gotten used to that concept yet." Robert sighed. “I’ve never really been able to just do whatever I wanted before.”

“Now you can.” Punch replied, “That's what tonight is for. You just better get used to it, My Robert. As far as I am concerned, you may do anything you wish."

"I already am. Just spending each day with you." Robert answered.

Mr. Punch whooped. “That’s the way to do it.” He looked at his feet and giggled. “But, first, you’d best help me with them shoes.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-109 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you may read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 111.

No comments: