Monday, July 2, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 77


Chapter 77: 
A Great Expense 



Dog Toby trotted over to join Mr. Punch and Colin. The terrier stoutly walked over to the large armchair where Punch sat with Colin on his lap. Reaching up with one paw, Dog Toby tapped the cushion of the chair, looking up with wide, expectant eyes.

“Here,” Punch smiled. “You wanna sit with us, then? You can jump.”

The terrier jumped up into the chair and, circling awkwardly a few times, wedged himself beside Punch, resting his head against the baby who gurgled happily.

“Did ya hear, Dog Toby?” Punch grinned. “Our Colin said a word today.”

Punch looked at the child. “You did, my Colin. You said ‘Punch.’ Can you say ‘Punch’ again?”

The child looked up and studied Punch’s face, extending his tiny hand to grab for Punch’s nose.

“Got me nose, did ya?” Punch chuckled.

“Puh…” Collin gurgled. “Puh…nnnn..ch.”

“Oh!” Punch whooped softly. “Oh, dear. You’re so smart, you are. So very wonderful. You’re such a good boy!”

“Punch…” Colin answered intently.

“My, my, my…” Punch grinned so broadly his face ached. “I’m so proud. You’re such a good boy.”

“Duuhhh…eeeee…” Colin squinted.

“What’s that?” Punch asked.

“Duh…eee…rrrr.” Colin said slowly.

“Dear?” Mr. Punch giggled.

“Dear Punch…” Colin cooed.

“How about that?” Punch sniffed, tears welling up in his eyes. “Dear Punch! You’re so good, my Colin. So good!”

Colin drowsily nuzzled into his father’s arms.

“You’re gonna say so many things, my boy.” Punch sniffed again. “And, I’m so proud that it’s me what was your first. We gotta teach ya how to say, ‘Father’ and ‘Uncle Robert.’ Though,” Punch paused. “He’s not really your uncle.” Punch thought about this for a moment—considering the fact that he, not Robert, was actually the child’s uncle. What a pity that the child couldn’t refer to both of them as “Father.”

“You know,” Punch began. “I used to come here with me own father.” Punch squinted for a moment. “Here, since you’re learning to talk from us, you’d best learn to talk correctly—not like I do, but more like Julian does. I’d best be careful, I’d wager, how I say things.”

Mr. Punch smiled softly. “You don’t know Julian. Will you ever understand? How’m I gonna…errr…going to explain to you that I’m so many different things. I’m your father, but your uncle. I’m Mr. Punch, but I’m also Julian, and…well…a few others.” He shook his head. “But, none of that is anything you need to know today.”

Colin yawned.

“Sleepy, then?” Punch nodded. “You had an exciting day. The air here is better for sleep than it is in London. Julian slept better here than he did in London—even in Yorkshire at Fallbridge Hall. Oh! I remember one night when we were here. Julian was about eleven years old. We come here…I mean, we came here without the Duchess—that was your grandmother. Your grandfather came here so he could treat the staff to a special day and he brought me…or Julian…but, I was there, too.”

Punch sighed. “It’s confusin’, I know.” He smiled, tickling the child’s stomach gently. “See, there was a tradition here. Don’t do it anymore. We don’t, I mean. We haven’t done it in many years, but Sir Colin always used to host the Servants’ Ball here. What a time we’d have—pipers and such wonderful food. Folks from the nearby estates would come and the servants would have a night to dance and make merry. Some years, even, they’d wear fancy dress. I remember one year where the servants dressed as lords and ladies and the lords and ladies dressed like footmen and maids. Those were good times. I’d watch from the gallery. See, Julian were too shy to go down with all them big folks.” He shook his head. “I mean with all of the adult people. Still, he’d watch and because he watched, I could, too. I’m sure you’d like it.”

Mr. Punch looked down to see that Colin had fallen asleep. Dog Toby had, too.

Punch nodded. “I wonder if maybe we ought to have a Servants’ Ball. These folk been waitin’ here for so long—all alone in this house, takin’ care o’ it. Just waitin’ for someone to come. They deserve a treat. Maybe we could bring Ethel and Jenny and Georgie and Vi from London. I don’t s’pose there’d be harm in shuttin’ up the house on Belgrave Square for a few days. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner.”

Sinking down further into the chair, Mr. Punch looked up at the clock. “No tea, supper’s late. All cuz of Miss Barrett. Here,” he looked down at the sleeping child, “I wish you could tell me what you think of Miss Barrett. You seem to like her fine, and, I seen how nice she is to you. But, your Uncle Robert, he don’t like her so much. I don’t think the boys do either. Your chum Gamilla does.” Mr. Punch shrugged. “I thought she were a good choice. Seemed so. I know she’s got many worries, that one. Maybe this holiday will help her feel better, too. I know I already feel like me-self ‘gain.”

Chuckling softly, Punch whispered, “But, you’re sleepin’ and I’ll stop talkin’ now.”

Mr. Punch wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but after awhile, Robert came into the room.

“Well?” Punch smiled. “What of Miss Barrett?”

“She actually is ill.” Robert shrugged. “She’s feverish and her lungs are congested.”

“Would the fever make her act all strange like she is?” Punch asked.

“It very well could.” Robert nodded. “I’ve told her to stay in her room. Gamilla will take up her duties until she’s recovered.”

Mr. Punch nodded. “You still think somethin’s queer ‘bout the whole thing, don’t ya?”

“I do.” Robert frowned. “I don’t know what. But, I do. Let’s use this time while Miss Barrett is recovering to consider her continued employment with us.”

“Sure,” Punch smiled.

“How is our boy?” Robert asked, walking over to stroke Colin’s hair.

“He said ‘Dear Punch.’” Punch beamed.

“Did he?” Robert asked excitedly.

“Jus’ like you do.” Punch replied proudly.

“I wish I’d heard it.” Robert sighed.

“You will. He’s only just begun. You’re gonna hear a lot from him, I’m sure.”

Robert grinned.

“Chum, I’m hungry.” Punch whispered.

“I’ve no doubt.” Robert chuckled. “Mrs. Pepper almost has dinner ready for us. Charles, Gerard and Finlay have returned. I saw them when I passed through the servants’ hall. They were none too pleased to discover that Miss Barrett was in the house all the time. Charles looked especially put-out. He started to tell me something about a cottage on the estate, but Gerard interrupted him.”

“There’s a hunting lodge,” Punch nodded. “On the edge of the property. Been there forever—long before the Grange were built.”

“Ah.” Robert nodded. “Is that the stone building that I saw in the distance.”

“Yes.” Punch said. “Sir Colin would go there quite a lot. Funny you should mention it, I were jus’ tellin’ Colin ‘bout some of Sir Colin’s traditions.”

“Such as?”

“The Servants’ Ball.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s a chance for the staff to have a bit o’ fun. Sometimes fancy dress. We’d hire folks from the town to serve and, then, the staff could have a night of their own. Usually, the gentry from the nearby estates would be invited to come. Everyone would dance and eat and drink.”

“Sounds charming.”

“It really was.” Punch smiled. “I were thinkin’, maybe we ought to do that—you know, as a reward for the folks here. We could send for the others from London.”

“That’s quite an expense.”

“True,” Punch laughed, “but, it ain’t like we don’t got ‘nough gold just sittin’ ‘round.”

“You’ll have to pardon my thriftiness.” Robert grinned. “I’m not accustomed to this sort of life.”

“It’s very Scots of you.” Punch teased.

“Actually, the staff does deserve a reward. Especially those from the London house. They’ve endured so much these few weeks and, the boys and Gamilla were especially good during your…illness.”

“So, we can do it?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“Good, I’ll talk with Speaight and Mrs. North ‘bout it in the mornin’.” Punch answered excitedly.

“Still, we’d best not plan anything definite until we see how Miss Barrett comes along.”

“Right.” Punch agreed. A sly look crossed his face. “You’re gonna have to wear your kilt.”

“I rather guessed that.” Robert sighed.

From downstairs, the dressing gong rang.

“That’s for us.” Robert inhaled.

“Here, help me…” Punch looked at the child.

Robert lifted Colin from the chair and carried him to his bassinette. “Gamilla will be up in a moment.”

“I’ll stay with Colin while you get dressed. I’ll bet Gerry’s waitin’ in your room already.”

“Very well.” Robert answered. “I shall see you shortly.”

“And, we’ll eat!’ Punch said with relief.

“Yes.” Robert nodded. “I’ll be fast.” With that, he left the room.

Punch watched Colin sleep for awhile, petting Dog Toby who remained next to him.

The door from the adjoining room squeaked open as Charles entered.

“Your Grace?” Charles nodded as he came in. “It’s time to dress for dinner.”

Glancing at the child, Mr. Punch pursed his lips. “I s’pose if we leave the door open, it’ll be all right.”

“Gamilla’s on her way up, Sir.” Charles nodded. “She was just behind me.”

Punch rose from his chair and walked toward Charles.

“Did ya hear? Collin said his first words.”

“Gamilla told me.” Charles smiled. “Soon, he’ll be giving speeches in the House of Lords.”

“Not too soon, I hope.” Punch chuckled.

“Sir?” Charles said softly.

“What is it, Charles?”

“I’d like to discuss something with you.”

Punch frowned. “Sounds serious.”

“It is, Your Grace.”

“What’s it all ‘bout?”

“The safety of your family, Sir.” Charles replied.



Did you miss Chapters 1-76 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 78.

No comments: