Friday, June 8, 2012

Drawing of the Day: An Invitation for Bachelor's Lodge, 1820-25

Click Above Image to Enlarge
Invitation to Bachelors Lodge
Edward Hull, 1820-25
The British Museum



Here’s an interesting drawing by the celebrated early Nineteenth Century illustrator and watercolorist Edward Hull. Dating between 1820 and 1825, it’s an invitation to “The Bachelor’s Lodge.” I’ve been doing some hunting and I can’t seem to figure out what exactly “The Bachelor’s Lodge” was, but I’m guessing it was a university gathering place for young men. I don’t suggest doing a search of “bachelor’s lodge” by the way. The results are not helpful.

The design depicts Mr Punch carrying enormous punch-bowl on his head. I think Mr. Punch would enjoy doing that. I don’t think, however, he’d be willing to serve the punch once he carried it. Most likely, he’d dump the whole thing on someone and smash the bowl over their head.


No comments: