Monday, May 7, 2012

Treat of the Week: Magnificent Molasses Cupcakes



A lovely international meal.


After a lovely international meal of Norwegian Meatballs, Israeli Couscous, and Brussels Sprouts (in brown butter), my mother revealed this week’s lovely treat of the week: gorgeous molasses spice cupcakes in the Victorian tradition.

These dense, moist cupcakes are rich with the mellow taste of molasses and plump raisins.  As you can see, they’re beautifully iced in colorful icing as well as a delicious mocha icing.  It’s interesting how to the different frostings make each cupcake a different experience.  The butter-creams lend a delightful, creamy note which heightens the spice of the cake itself while the mocha icing blends the flavors of chocolate and coffee along into the luxurious taste of the molasses.

Perhaps you have a favorite cupcake recipe which you’re looking to update or elevate.  Try different kinds of icing like this.  You’ll be surprised at the subtle differences you’ll be able to create.  










11 comments:

Carolyn said...

this is a yummy-nummy meal! I think those cupcakes are so beautiful. They look so sweet and adorable I'd like to take a nap on them and then eat them all.

April said...

Perfection!

Angelo said...

That's so awesome! I can't get enough cupcakes.

Barb said...

I love the pretty colors.

Wendy said...

I love the way the icing is piped!

Matt said...

Ohhhhh! I love it!

Mark said...

Lovely cakes. Wish I had some right now we could use them to toast Punch's big day.

Book Gurl said...

It's bake sale night meaning I have to bake about nine thousand cupcakes. I think I'll do some molases ones and see if I can ice them in sweet colors like this. Great idea, Joseph's mom!!!

Kathy said...

Tooooooo cute. That dinner looks amaaaaazing 2. I want to have dinner with you guys.

Gene said...

I love sprouts a lot and meatballs. I never had such a pretty cupcakes. Only cupcakes I get come in cellophane and have squiggles on them.

Barry said...

This kind of cake is always a favourite.