Monday, March 26, 2012

Treat of the Week: Ginger and Lemon, and Cardamom and Orange Madeleines

Joseph Crisalli

No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory – this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. ... Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it? ... And suddenly the memory revealed itself. The taste was that of the little piece of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because on those mornings I did not go out before mass), when I went to say good morning to her in her bedroom, my aunt Léonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of tea or tisane. The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it. And all from my cup of tea.
—Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

The above quotation from Marcel Proust shows the power of the little madeleine or petite madeleine--a traditional spongy, small cake from Commercy and Liverdun, communes of the Lorraine region in northeastern France.


These celebrated sponge cakes usually take on a distinctive shell-shape as they’re baked in molded pans with shell-shaped depressions. The texture of a Madeleine comes from the génoise cake batter (which employs air in the batter instead of chemical leavening to make the cake rise) is used.
This weekend, my mother surprised us with two different kinds of madeleines.  The first are flavored with honey and ginger and adorned with a sugar-glaze in which lemon zest has been suspended.  The other version that we enjoyed this weekend were spongy shells of cardamom and honey with a glaze flavored with orange zest.  Both were perfectly lovely—tender with just the right amount of sweetness and a lovely creaminess from the glaze.


I can understand why Proust associated these little cakes with “involuntary memory.”  I know I will be reminded of these little beauties for many decades to come—each time I see a fresh lemon or orange or feel the softness of the perfect sponge cake.
We enjoyed these perfect madeleines with homemade chocolate pudding and whipped cream served in pink crystal footed cups.  Needless to say, we had a lovely afternoon.  






















11 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love madelleines with a cup of tea. These look so delicate, my tummy is growling.

Book Gurl said...

These are a favorite of my hubby, Book Guy. Next time I make them I will glaze them like this. What a great idea!

April said...

Why don't I get pretty things like this?

Gene said...

In my grandmother's belongings which I have in my attic there is a pan to make these. I found a recipe of hers too so I think when my wife goes to Florida next week I will try to make these like my grandmother did. Thank you for reminding me of them.

Kathy said...

Very pretty! And the desserts are always so prettily arranged ont he plates.

Barry said...

Just lovely!

Matt said...

Something about these makes me think of springtime. I like citrus flavors with spice so I know I'd like these.

Sam P said...

They look great!

Barb said...

I love the glaze. I'll try that 2.

Amy said...

Madeleines are so delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your mom always makes such beautiful things.