Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 499

 Mr. Punch eyed the ship suspiciously as he and Robert approached it.

“Don’t fret, dear Punch.”  Robert winked.  “The odds of two ships in a row catching ablaze are rather slim.”

“Only they ain’t impossible.”  Punch grumbled.  “What with our luck.”

“I think our luck is, overall, quite good.”  Robert smiled.
 
“Eh?”

“Well, we have one another.  We have Colin.  We’re headed home to a beautiful house in Belgrave Square—together, unharmed.  We’ll be able to visit Fallbridge Hall whenever or if ever you wish.  We both have thriving businesses awaiting us.  We’re healthy, as is Colin, and we’re all very loved.”  Robert nodded, slipping his arm through Mr. Punch’s.  “To me, that sounds like very good luck.”

“Here,” Punch smiled slowly, “you’re correct, you are.  Just as always…”

“Maybe not always,” Robert teased, “but often.”

Mr. Punch laughed, but his good cheer quickly faded.

“I know, dear Punch,” Robert sighed as he looked into Punch’s sad eyes.  “But, we must smile—for the sake of the others.”

Punch nodded.  Together, they waited for their family to catch up. 

Mr. Punch and Robert had said their goodbyes to Marie Laveau already.  She chose not to go to the dock with them, claiming that she had to organize her “girls” for the day and send them off to style the hair of New Orleans’ wealthy ladies.  But, Mr. Punch knew she was lying.  Though their friendship had been much shorter than the time they spent in battle against each other, Punch knew that Marie was a sensitive and emotional woman.  He realized that saying goodbye was difficult enough in the privacy of her own parlor without having to suffer through a public parting.

“It looks to be a fine vessel,”  Cecil forced a smile as he guided Adrienne toward them.  

“Doesn’t it, my dear?”

Adrienne was already in tears.  Fuller—who was nestled in his mother’s arms—reached up with a tiny hand and wiped away one of his mother’s tears.  She nodded.  “A fine ship.”

Adrienne’s tears were too much for Mr. Punch, and, he, too, began to sob.

“We, maybe, can put you all in our trunks.  We don’t need clothes.  You can come with us and we can get you on the ship and then we can take you out and feed you sausages, we can.”  Punch chattered nervously.

“Dear Punch,”  Robert whispered.  “You must try to compose yourself.”

“I’m tryin’, chum, only it’s not easy, it ain’t.”

“I know.”  Robert responded softly.

“As lovely an idea as that is,”  Cecil said, his voice catching for a moment, “the ship’s officers take a dim view of stowaways.” 

Mr. Punch nodded.  “Here, can I hold Fuller?”

“Of course,”  Adrienne answered, gently transferring the boy to Mr. Punch’s arms.  Punch whispered to the child.  “Now, little Fuller, I know I ain’t really your uncle.  But, I’m kinda like your uncle.  Me chum is really your uncle and your ma and pa is like me own sister and brother.  I hope you’ll remember me and when you grow up, I hope you’ll be a good, wonderful, kind man who’s nice to folk and puppies and good to your mama what’s always been me true, loyal friend and who is a fine lady.  And, be good to your pa whose gruff but fair and bright.  He makes noise, but, he’s soft like a doggy and has a good, kind heart.”
Punch looked up at Adrienne.  “You think he understands?”

“I do,”  Adrienne answered, dabbing at her eyes with a lace handkerchief.

Once again, Punch gazed down at Fuller, choking back tears.  “And, your cousin—Colin—don’t forget him neither.  He’ll be with me and he’ll grow up.  And when he does, maybe he’ll see you and you two will be the best of friends.”  Punch shook his head.  “Better take him back.”

Adrienne took the child from Mr. Punch, pausing in front of Robert for a moment.  Robert caressed his nephew’s little face, his eyes growing moist.

Their moment was interrupted as Charles approached.

“Pardon me, Sir,”  Charles said politely.  “I’ve instructed the purser on how to handle the trunks.  I have the case with your jewel chest here and Gerard has the basket with His Grace’s puppet.”

“Where’s Toby?”  Punch asked.

“He’s with Columbia and Marjani, just over there.”  Charles pointed to Marjani (who held Colin), Columbia (who was walking Toby on a lead) and Gamilla who walked with Gerard.

“If you don’t mind,”  Charles continued, “I’d like to go ahead and board to make sure the cabins are in order for you.”

“Please,”  Robert nodded.

Charles blushed, “May I?”

“What is it, Charles?”  Robert asked.

“I’d just like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Halifax for all they did for me.”  Charles answered softly.
Robert nodded.

“You already have,”  Cecil smiled.

“Farewell, Charles.  We wish you all the best.”  Adrienne added.

Charles nodded, his bottom lip quivering slightly.  Without another word he boarded the ship.
Gamilla hung back to speak with Gerard as Marjani and Columbia approached with Colin and Toby.

“Go on, honey.”  Marjani nodded at her granddaughter.

Columbia sniffed and walked slowly toward Mr. Punch.  “Here’s your Toby dog, Sir.”

“Thank you, little chum.”  Punch smiled despite the tears that rolled down his cheeks. 

“I’ll miss him.”  Columbia whimpered. 

“He’ll miss you.”  Mr. Punch nodded, picking up the dog.

“Go on, honey.”  Marjani repeated.

“I want to say,”  Columbia began.  “that I think you’re a right good man, and I want to say that I will  never forget you nor even Mr. Halifax and Colin.  Grandmama said that if I learn to write, I can write you letters in England.  Will you read them?”

“Of course,”  Punch knelt down, still holding Toby.  He looked into Columbia’s eyes.  “I should like very much to read anything that you wrote.  Perhaps, when you learn to read and write, you will be a great writer one day.  Wouldn’t that be grand?  I think it would, I do.”

Columbia could not control herself any longer.  Her quiet tears turned to gasping sobs and she threw her arms around Mr. Punch’s neck.  “Oh, Uncle Punch!  Please, please don’t leave!  My mama and daddy, they left for heaven and done left me and Grandmama all alone.  Now, you’re gonna leave, too.  Please, don’t go!”

“Oh!”  Punch yelped.  “Oh, no!”  He looked up at Robert helplessly. 

Robert knelt down, too.

“Columbia, we have to go.  This isn’t our home.  We come from somewhere else and we’re needed there.  But, I promise we’ll write to you and we’ll send you little gifts.  We will think of you and your grandmother every day.  I promise.”

“It ain’t the same,”  Columbia wailed.

“No, it ain’t.”  Punch said.  “But, remember, when folks is close like we are, they’re always bound to see each other again one day.”

“For true?”  Columbia asked.

“For true.”  Mr. Punch nodded, believing it himself.  At least, he wanted to believe it so that the parting would not be as terribly excruciating as it was.

“Now, Columbia,”  Marjani said sweetly, coming up behind her granddaughter.  “You want His Grace and Dr. Halifax to see you like the fine, strong young lady you are.”

Columbia nodded, wiping her eyes on the backs of her hands.

“Then, you smile and tell them goodbye for now.”

“Goodbye, Uncle Punch.  Goodbye, Dr. Halifax.”  She said, her voice trembling.

“Good girl, honey.”  Marjani smiled.  “Now, why don’t you go by Missus Adrienne and Mr. Cecil?”

Columbia hurried off, crying again.

“Oh, it’s too awful.”  Punch shook his head, hugging Toby close to his chest.

“Now, here’s your Colin.”  Marjani said firmly, not allowing herself to become overemotional.

“I’ll take him.”  Robert extended his arms into which Marjani placed the baby.

“He’s a good boy.”  Marjani nodded.  “I know he’ll be a fine man like his…”  She paused. 

“Pardon me, but what’s he gonna call ya?”

Mr. Punch raised his eyebrows and looked at Robert. “We hadn’t talked ‘bout it.  I already got so many names…”

“He should call you, ‘Father,’ dear Punch.”

Punch smiled.  “You think so?”

“I do.”

“What about you?”

“He’ll call me ‘Uncle Robert.’”

“Well, then,” Marjani grinned.  “I know he’ll grow up to be as fine a man as his daddy and his uncle are.”

“And I know Columbia will be as strong and beautiful as you,”  Punch sniffed.

“I hope she is a thousand parts better than me.”  Marjani shook her head.

“I don’t know if anyone could be.”  Robert smiled.  “I will always consider you the best nurse I ever had, and, certainly, one of the best friends.”

“I can’t,” Marjani answered, her voice quivering, “think of the right words to say all I want.”

“You don’t gotta say nothin’.”  Mr. Punch answered.  “We already know.  And, you do, too.”

“I do have a message for ya,”  Marjani took a deep breath.

“From whom?”  Robert asked.

“Naasir.”  Marjani whispered.  “He wants you to know he’s very proud.  He’s going to always watch out for you.”

“Oh, oh…”  Punch began to sob again.  “It’s all too terrible.  Too, too terrible.”

“Thank you, Marjani.”  Robert smiled, also becoming overcome.

“Will you forgive me if I take my leave now?”  Marjani rasped.  “Less I start to cry myself.”

“Go on, Marjani.”  Robert nodded.

“Remember how we love you.”  Punch sniffed as Marjani hurried off.  “And when you’re nursin’ them silk folk, make sure to take care of yourself, too.”

Marjani went to join her granddaughter with Adrienne, Cecil and Fuller.

Robert gestured to Gamilla and Gerard who still stood alone, talking closely.

“I do believe they’re having a difficult time saying goodbye.”  Robert said softly.

“About that?”  Punch nodded.  “Did ya…”

“I talked with Adrienne and Cecil before we left.  Cecil will send Gamilla along after they’re settled back in Marionneaux.”

“Oh, good!”  Punch whooped.

Gerard looked up.  Shaking Gamilla’s hand, he lingered one moment more before hurrying stiffly toward Robert and Mr. Punch.

“My apologies, Sirs.”  Gerard panted.

“You’ll see her again shortly.”  Robert winked.

“I know.  She tol’ me.”  Gerard smiled. 

“Charles is already aboard the ship.  Go and find him, please.  And, would you take Toby to Mr. Punch’s cabin?”

“Sure thing, Sirs.”  Gerard grinned, taking the dog from Punch’s arms.  He paused to wave at Gamilla once more and darted up the ramp to the ship.

“I’ll take me…” Punch cleared his throat.  “My son, please.”

Robert smiled approvingly.  “Colin, go to your father.”  He handed Colin to Mr. Punch.

Punch, Robert and Colin stood at the bottom of the ramp for a moment.

“What do we do now?”  Punch asked, his voice choking in his throat.

“Now, we wave.”  Robert whispered.

Punch waved at the small group who had shared their lives for those long, grueling, exciting, glorious weeks.

“That’s all?”  Punch asked softly.

“We’ve said all we can.”  Robert sighed.

“Don’t seem ‘nough.”  Punch muttered.

“It never is.  Nothing ever can be.”  Robert responded.

The group waved back.

Without another word, Robert put his arm around Mr. Punch’s shoulders and together, they walked up the wide ramp to the ship.

“It’s too, too terrible,”  Mr. Punch repeated over and over again.  “And, too, too wonderful.”




Did you miss Chapters 1-498?  If so, you can read them here.  There’s only one chapter left of Punch’s Cousin.  Make sure to come back tomorrow for the final chapter and the beginning of a new journey for Mr. Punch and Robert.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet. Nicely written.

Book Gurl said...

Wonderful. As much as I don't want it to end, I'm curious to read the last chapter.

Darcy said...

To quote Mr. Punch"It's too too terrible and too too wonderful". All these characters have grown so much during the course of this story. I, like Book Gurl, have mixed feelings about tomorrow being the last chapter.
I can still vividly remember chapter one and the shadowy figure that seemed to be creeping around Fallbridge Hall. That he turned into our "chum" Mr. Punch is what makes this story so special.
I'd love it if you would repost that first chapter after you post chapter 500 so we can see how much that character has grown.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Anonymous.

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate your comment, Book Gurl.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, Darcy, that's very kind of you. I will, in fact, repost the first chspter. Thank you for the idea and your nice words.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Darcy, just as a follow-up, I will repost the inaugural chapter of Punch's Cousin on Friday in the usual spot (the third post of the day).