Friday, March 23, 2012

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 495

Coo!”  Punch chirped as he took a stack of ribbon-tied boxes from Charles.  “Look at all them presents.”

Charles chuckled, having become a little more accustomed to Mr. Punch’s mannerisms.  “I think I’ve gotten everything you requested.”

“Where’s Gerry, then?”  Punch asked.

“He’s on his way, Sir.”  Charles responded.  “He’s still moving a little slowly, but he insisted on carrying some things himself.  He would not accept any assistance.”

“Good,”  Punch nodded.  “Glad you let him.”

“Now, Sir, the rest will be delivered in the morning.  This should be what you, Dr. and Mr. Halifax, Colin and Fuller need for tonight.”

“You got somethin’ for yourselves, too, I hope.”  Punch raised his eyebrows.

“Oh, yes, Sir.”  Charles smiled.  “Thank you.”

“Well, don’t thank me.”  Mr. Punch shrugged.  “Mr. Halifax paid for all of this.  Make no mistake, as soon as I get back to England, I’ll make sure to reimburse him.  It’s only that since all our things was burned up, I don’t have a coin to me name.  Here, that’s pretty funny—me bein ‘a Duke, but poor as a church mouse.”

“That’s the first I’ve heard you refer to yourself as the Duke,”  Robert smiled, coming into the room.  He smiled at Charles.  “Welcome back.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“Were you able to find proper liveries for yourself and Gerry?”  Robert continued.

“No, Sir.”  Charles shook his head.  “Just black suits.  Pity I lost my livery in the fire.  It was a fine suit.  But, they don’t have anything like that here.”

“We’ll have you properly attired when we return to England.  In the meantime, we’ll just have to  make do with what we have.”  Robert nodded.

“I think I picked some fine, handsome things for you and His Grace, Sir.”  Charles blushed, quite pleased with himself.

“I have no doubt.”  Robert grinned. 

“There’s a handsome blue cravat in one of those boxes.  That is for you, Sir.”  Charles continued, relaxing a bit.  “I remembered your blue eyes and thought it would look fine on you.”

“Well done,”  Robert nodded.

“And, for His Grace, there’s a lovely crimson waistcoat which I thought would do well with his chestnut hair.  Besides, Mr. Punch does wear red, doesn’t he?”

“I like red.”  Punch mumbled softly.

“You’ve outdone yourself, Charles.  I’m so glad you’re with us.”  Robert praised the man.

“Well, thank you, Sir.”  Charles nodded eagerly.  “I’ll go see how Gerry’s doin’.”

“Here, let him carry on his own, still.”  Punch warned.  “He’s proud, our beardy chum.”

“He is, Sir.”  Charles smiled.  “However, he won’t be bearded for long.”

“No?”  Robert asked.

“No, Sir.  We used the remainder of the coins you gave us to purchase a razor for him.”  Charles boasted.

“I think it’s best.  A valet shouldn’t be bearded.”  Robert nodded.

“I thought so, too.”  Charles said before scurrying out to find Gerard.

“He seems quite cheerful, our Charles.”  Robert chuckled.

Punch nodded.

“I think he’s quite eager to leave.  I’m glad that we retained him.  Gerard, too.  They seem to be getting on well.  I think we’ll have a happy household.”  Robert continued.  He paused and placed his hand on Punch’s shoulder.  “You’ve become unusually quiet.  When I came in, you were bubbling with excitement.”

“I like presents.”  Punch sighed.

“Well, then, my dear, you should be smiling.  There’s a whole table stacked with boxes which want opening.  Not just for us, but for Colin, too.  And, more on the way—a whole new wardrobe.  That’s cause for celebration.”

“I ‘spose.” Punch shrugged.  “Colin’ll like his new little duds, he will.”

“I see some soft toy animals over there.”  Robert said brightly.  “Colin will like those, too.”

“Me too.”  Punch mumbled.

“Dear Punch,”  Robert smiled, sitting on the edge of the table.  “What’s troubling you?  You might as well tell me now because you know I’ll keep at it until you talk.”

Punch shrugged again.

“It’s just the two of us.  You don’t need to be shy.  Adrienne is out with Gamilla shopping for the ladies.  Marjani and Columbia are with the boys.  Cecil is talking business with Pete and his friends and both Maries are in the kitchen.  We’re alone until Charles and Gerry come back in, so, now’s the perfect time to tell me what’s on your mind.  Why has your mood shifted so?  Did I say something that upset you?”

“Not really.”  Punch muttered.

“I know you’re sad about leaving everyone.  However, you heard Cecil.  They’ll all join us soon enough with the possible exception of Marjani and Columbia.”

“I am sad ‘bout that.”  Punch sniffed.  “But, that ain’t what’s troublin’ me now.”

“What is it, then?”  Robert asked, patting Mr. Punch’s arm.

“I called me-self the Duke.”  Punch confessed.

“You are the Duke.”  Robert smiled.

“But, I ain’t.  The Duke is Julian.  And, Julian’s inside our body.  I’m Mr. Punch.  Charles even said so.  I like red and…and…”

“You know you’re both.”  Robert replied gently.

“And a few others,”  Punch muttered.

“Well, they’ve been quiet, so we’ll not worry about them.”

“Chum,” Punch began, “I don’t think Julian’s gonna come back out any time soon.”

“I didn’t think so.”  Robert tilted his head to one side, looking affectionately at his friend.

“I know you miss him.” 

“I do.”  Robert nodded.  “However, I’ve realized that he’s a part of you and you’re a part of him.  You’ve actually become more like him as time has passed, and I think he’s actually become more like you.”

“What if he never comes back out?”  Punch asked.

“Then, you will just have to become even more like him.”

“But still be me?”

“Yes.”  Robert nodded.

“I don’t know how to be the Duke of Fallbridge.”

“You’ve done a fine job of it thus far.”  Robert shook his head.

“But, that’s just play.”

“Is it?”

“Well, maybe.  When we get back to England, I’m gonna have to go to the Palace and to Balmoral and see the Queen and…be a jeweler!  And, go to long, boring dinners…and…the opera and…”  Punch began to sob.

Robert hugged his friend, rubbing his back.  “Dear, Punch.”

Punch withdrew from Robert and wiped his nose on his own sleeve.

Robert chuckled.  “Don’t you see?  You—you alone, dear Punch—are a remarkable man who is capable of anything.”

“But, I ain’t a man!”  Punch moaned.

“Yes, you are.”

“I’m a puppet, I am.”

Robert thumped Punch’s chest and grinned.  “You don’t feel like a puppet.”

“But, I’m Mr. Punch!”  He snorted.  “I hit folk with me stick and eat sausages and fight the crocodile and…”

“We may call you ‘Punch.’  You may call yourself ‘Punch.’  But, you’re not a puppet.”

“But, I feel like a puppet.”  Punch cried.

“Don’t you also feel like a man?”

“I…I…do.”  Punch wiped his eyes.

“You’re both.  You’re a creature unto yourself and we all love you.  I love you—just as you are.”

“So, I’m not quite all Mr. Punch and I’m not quite all Julian, Duke of Fallbridge.”

“Either that or you’re entirely both.”

“Can that be?”

“If you want it to be.”  Robert winked.

“I do sorta feel like both.”  Punch nodded.

“There you have it.”  Robert smiled.

“Sometimes I feel very much like Mr. Punch.”  Punch smiled, too, beginning to chuckle.  “So much so that I want to slap people with a stick.”

“But, you don’t throw our baby out of the window.”  Robert joked.

“No, but, I do beat the devil.”  Punch giggled.

“That you do.”

“I reckon I really am something all my own.”

“You are.”

“So, if I ain’t Mr. Punch, what am I?  Not the Duke?”

“You…you’re…”  Robert smiled broadly.  “You’re Punch’s cousin.”

“Punch’s cousin?”

“Julian’s, too.  However, you don’t really need to label yourself.  Just be what you are.  And, when Julian’s ready—or not—he can be whatever he is.  I’m here for both of you.”

“Coo!”  Punch nodded. 

“You’re my companion.  You’re Colin’s new father.  You’re Toby’s master and friend to many.  What we call you is irrelevant.  It’s how you behave and how you treat others that counts.”

“Will you still call me, ‘Mr. Punch?’”

“If you like.”

“I like it—‘specially when you call me, ‘dear Punch.’”

“Then, that’s what I shall call you.”

“And, when Julian comes out again?”

“I’ll call him by his name.  I’m ready for whatever comes.”  Robert answered.

“Me too, then.”  Punch nodded.

“Now, dear Punch, we must sort through these clothes before dinner.  And, then…”

“One more sleep before we get on the ship again.”  Punch smiled.

“Yes.”

“Hopefully this one won’t burn.”

Robert laughed.  “It won’t.  I’m sure of it.”




Did you miss Chapters 1-494?  If so, you can read them here.  

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Beautiful and touching dialogue . The ending of this tale is so bittersweet. Only five more chapters, I know I'll miss some of our "chums" as much as Mr. Punch and Robert will.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy. It is bittersweet for me, too. Thankfully, some of the chums that they're leaving behind, and some of the enemies, too, figure prominently in my first novel, The Garnet Red, as well as The Cages of Marionneaux which will be released soon. So, we've not heard the last ofthem. In fact, Marjani's granddaughter, Columbia, is one of the two central characters of "The Cages of Marionneaux." Thank you for your comment.

Matt said...

This is so good. I love the message in the dialogue.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you so much, Matt.