Friday, January 20, 2012

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 441

Mr. Punch sat on the edge of the dock, his legs dangling over the side. He closed his eyes and let the salty, cold air blow against his face. For a moment, he considered shielding his borrowed visage from the elements. He had seen what wind and cold did to a man’s face—making it rough and red. And, since the Duke had entrusted the care of their shared body to Punch, he thought that Julian might not appreciate chapped cheeks and premature wrinkles. One thing His Grace was proud of was his youthful appearance. He looked much younger than his thirty and some years and the sharp, raw wind would not help his regal, delicate complexion.

Still, Punch concluded, Julian would not mind a little cold wind—just once. Besides, Punch was tired. Too tired to move at that moment. He sighed, watching the ship in the distance grow larger as it got closer.

Robert very quietly joined Mr. Punch on the edge of the dock.

“I’ve gotten Gerard settled by the fire.” Robert said softly. “Everyone is rallying.”

“Are they?” Punch asked.

“They are.” Robert smiled weakly.

“So, then, chum, everyone’ll be ready to go when the ship arrives?”

“I suppose.” Robert nodded.

“Here, that’s good news.” Punch sighed.

“Marjani has expressed concern about Mama Routhe.” Robert continued.

“I understand, I do.” Punch nodded. “I been thinkin’ ‘bout her, too.”

“She worries that Mrs. Routhe may have received the same treatment that Gerard has.”

Punch nodded.

“We do have time before the ship arrives.” Robert began.

“No.” Punch shook his head. “Ain’t nobody leavin’ here.”

Robert raised his eyebrows.

“Listen,” Punch said thoughtfully. “I know what Mama Routhe done for us. She’s been a true friend and helped when no one else would. I know, also, that we owe her our loyalty, we do. But, we also owe our loyalty to our kin. And, I ain’t gonna risk our departure. Mama Routhe looked after herself long before we got here and she’ll look after herself long after we left. I know that sounds just awful. I know, but that’s the way it’s got to be. Ain’t none of us leavin’ here. We’re all gonna stay together. Cecil once said that sometimes a man’s gotta be selfish in order to protect what he cares about most. It ain’t that I don’t care ‘bout Mrs. Routhe, but I do love this family more. I made a promise what I aim to keep. We’re getting’ on that ship to England, we are. I think Mrs. Routhe would agree with me and I hope you do, too.”

“I don’t disagree.” Robert nodded. “It’s simply that I know it concerns Marjani.”

“Concerns me, too. I don’t want that nice lady to be hurt. Only I can’t think why Marie would have hurt her, so I’m just hopin’ she’ s safe.”

“I can’t think why Marie would have done harm to Gerard.” Robert sighed.

“To send a message to us.” Punch frowned.

“And, wouldn’t she do the same to Mrs. Routhe?”

“I don’t know.” Punch snapped. “What would you have me do? I can’t leave. We gotta stay together! I can’t let you or Cecil go. We can’t risk it!”

“I’m not suggesting that…” Robert began.

“Sorry, chum.” Punch grumbled. “I know I’m bein’ terrible.”

“You’re not.” Robert smiled.

“What you think were in that bag? Did that witch curse the sea? Are we fools to get on that ship?”

“I don’t know.” Robert shook his head.

“The way I figure it,” Punch continued, “we’re gonna have danger no matter where we go, we are.”

“True.” Robert agreed.

“She’s dead, ain’t she?” Punch whispered.

“Who?”

“Mrs. Routhe.” Punch replied quietly.

“I don’t know.” Robert shook his head. “I don’t…I…I hope not.”

“We probably ought to check on her.” Punch mumbled.

“But, you just said…”

“I know what I just said.” Punch threw up his hands. “Only it don’t change the fact that a nice lady risked her life for us and we owe it to her to make sure she’s safe.”

“What happened to listening to Cecil, to being selfish for the good of the whole family?” Robert asked.

“When have I ever listened to Cecil?” Punch grinned crookedly.

Robert laughed. “And, when have I?”




Did you miss Chapters 1-440? If so, you can read them here.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

I love Mr. Punch. He just can't bring himself to leave a friend in danger no matter how hard he tries to talk himself into it.