Saturday, November 5, 2011

Object of the Day: Another Victorian Calling Card

Yes, another trade/calling card. Get ready, because there’re a bunch more of them. Again, I was drawn to this card because of its colors, but I also like the scene of two young woman engaged in a private chat. This is a quintessential Victorian scene and shows the tender immediacy which defined such commercial art.


The card is embossed so that the two figures have more depth. Again, it is not printed on the reverse. And, again, it shows signs of a long-ago smeared and faded signature. Most likely, this card was left behind when a friend visited the home of another—probably during an “At Home” when a young lady would set aside the family drawing room for a set morning each week in order to receive callers. This token of esteem clearly meant a lot to the recipient who made sure to preserve it so that one day some guy and his dog could find it in an antique store.

And, that's just it--isn't it?  Anyone who knows me will agree that I'm not a chatty man.  I'm not prone to extended conversations, but I do appreciate human connections.  These little items from the past allow a human connection that transcends time, and for just a moment, I'm connected to some person who has long ceased breathing.  And, in that second, more is communicated than in most shallow daily exchanges. 

No comments: