Thursday, July 28, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 306

Iolanthe Evangeline crouched in the shadows behind the stable as she heard Meridian’s footsteps hurry across the courtyard from the house. Iolanthe peered around the corner and watched as Meridian covered her face with her apron before entering the stable.

“Your Grace?” Meridian said softly through the thin cloth. “You’re wanted in the house.”

“Here, what for?” Punch asked.

“Charles has returned.” Meridian responded.

“It’s ‘bout time.” Punch grumbled. “Has he got any news ‘bout the child?”

“You’d best come in the house, Sir.” Meridian replied quickly, glancing at the mattress of hay upon which Arthur lay groaning and dying.

“You can’t leave now,” Arthur moaned. “You’ve got to hear me.”

“I heard ‘nough from you.” Punch spat.

“Go on,” Robert nodded. “See what Charles wants.”

“No.” Arthur wheezed. “I ain’t finished.”

“Oh, honey,” Marjani smiled. “Yes, you are.”

“I’ll come back.” Punch answered. “But, not for you, Arthur.” He looked at Gerry. “Listen, Gerard, make sure this ain’t how you end up—dyin’ in a mess with no one prayin’ for your soul, no one believin’ what you say, no one carin’ what happens to ya.”

“Yes, Sir.” Gerry nodded.

With that, Mr. Punch followed Meridian out of the stable. She uncovered her face once they’d reached the courtyard and took a deep breath. “He ain’t got long, has he, Your Grace?”

“No.” Mr. Punch shook his head. “Now, what is it that you ain’t tellin’ me ‘bout Charles?”

“You’d better see for yourself.” Meridian shook her head.

“He ain’t brought that Barbara Allen with him?” Punch frowned as they entered the house.

“No, Sir.” Meridian responded, “but, he got someone with him.”

Punch walked into the kitchen and squealed with joy when he saw Charles sitting at the kitchen table with the baby in his arms.

“Give him to me!” Punch shouted happily as he scooped up his nephew.

Charles couldn’t help but smile despite the heaviness in his heart.

“However did you get him back?” Punch squawked gleefully. “Me boy, me Colin—dear boy.” He nuzzled the baby.

“It’s a long story, Your Grace.” Charles said sadly.

“I’m listenin’.” Punch said, gently hugging his nephew.

“None of it matters now, Your Grace.”

“Sure it does.” Punch said. “And, you know well enough by now to know I ain’t Julian. Just call me, ‘Mr. Punch.’” Punch smiled. “Same for you, Meridian.”

“To me, Sir, you still deserve to be addressed by your title.” Meridian responded. “Now, let me go get the baby something to eat. He’s gotta be hungry.”

“He is.” Charles nodded.

Meridian hurried to the pantry.

“Come on, then, Charles, tell me how you got him back. I want to hear how ya done it. Besides, I want to congratulate you for bein’ such a hero.”

“I’m no hero.” Charles shook his head.

“Sure, you are.” Punch argued. “Now, how’d you get Nellie to give him up?”

“Barbara did it, really.” Charles replied.

“Did she?” Punch’s eyes widened. “And, she let you bring him back to me? Where is Barbara now?”

“She’s gone mad, Sir.” Charles said, his eyes filling with tears.

“What you mean?” Punch asked.

“She’s killed a man. She’s with him right now at the cathedral—shrieking with laughter. She dragged him to the altar. She’s ranting…I…I didn’t know what to do. I took the child and came here. She wouldn’t come with me.”

“Who’d she kill?” Punch asked, still cradling the child.

“Marie Laveau’s late husband’s brother.” Charles answered.

“That ain’t good.” Punch muttered. “That ain’t good at all.”

“No.” Charles sniffed.

“Why’d she do it?” Punch asked. “Did he hurt her?”

“No.” Charles shrugged. “As I’ve told you, she’s gone mad. She doesn’t make sense. We’ve got to help her!”

“I ‘spose we do.” Punch sighed.

From outside the kitchen, Iolanthe listened at the slightly open back door. “Not if I get to her first.” She thought to herself.



Did you miss Chapters 1-305? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: