Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Punch’s Cousin, Chapter 293

Who’s this handsome boy?” Nellie purred as she stroked Giovanni’s arm.

“My brother, Carlo” Giovanni smirked. “I’m rather surprised to see him climbing through a window. He much prefers to use the servant’s entrance.”

“Giovanni, you’re…” Charles began.

“How trite,” Giovanni scowled. “Surely, you’re not going to say, ‘You’re alive!’ Couldn’t you decide upon something more clever.”

“Why aren’t you in Hell?” Charles asked.

“That’s more clever,” Nellie laughed, her scar crinkling as she smiled.

“Because I’m in indomitable.” Giovanni shrugged, wincing from the pain of his fresh wound. “Now, answer a question for me. Why are you climbing through windows?”

“My friend,” Charles replied softly. “She’s in trouble.”

“Here?” Giovanni raised one eyebrow. “With Marie?”

“Which friend?” Nellie asked.

“Miss Allen,” Charles answered.

“That sow?” Nellie moaned. “Is she here? Worthless…”

“I’ll thank you to cease that line of thought.” Charles said warningly.

“Will you, now?” Nellie rose and tied her dressing gown around her waist. “Forget about her, Carlo.”

“Charles. My name is Charles.”

“Not according to your brother.” Nellie purred.

“He ceased to be my brother long ago.”

“Such talk.” Giovanni grunted. “And, me, lying here in this bed, barely alive.”

“You were well enough to entertain this scarred woman of ill repute.”

Nellie pulled back her hand and slapped Charles across the face.

Rubbing his cheek, Charles smiled, “Well, aren’t you fierce? Would you be as fierce if you knew that Iolanthe Evangeline is in the other room with Marie and Ulrika Rittenhouse?”

“What?” Nellie stepped backward.

“Wasn’t it the doing of one of those two women that you came by your scar? And, isn’t the other surely looking for you after you fled from her ‘business?’”

“You’re lying!” Nellie spat. “Marie would never have those two here.”

“I saw them through the open door when I passed through the alley.” Charles nodded. “If you don’t believe me, I’ll take you to them right now.” He grabbed Nellie by the arm.

“Let me go!” Nellie shouted.

“Yes, do scream. I’m sure the sound of your voice will attract their attention.”

“No.” Nellie whispered.

“Then, help me rescue Miss Allen.” Charles said firmly.

Meanwhile, Punch’s shoulders sagged a little as he stood across from Julian in the long, imaginary passage which existed only within their shared minds and body.

“I know what you’re gonna say, Master. I do.” Punch sighed.

“I don’t think that you do.” Julian responded gently.

“You’re gonna tell me to forget ‘bout the child like Naasir said to do, and that I should go back to Marionneaux with Robert and Cecil and Adrienne and Fuller. I already got rid of Barbara. Ain’t no savin’ her. Ain’t no getting’ the diamond, I don’t think. You want me to forget the whole thing and go to Marionneaux and rest before we sail to England.”

“That’s not what I want,” Julian shook his head.

“It ain’t?”

“No.” Julian smiled. “I want you to fight for what you believe in, and, what’s more, I’m going to help you.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-292? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: