Saturday, April 16, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 223

Marjani grunted as she heard the snip of the scissors next to her ear. Pushing Marie Laveau away, she growled. “What are you doin’?”


Marie smiled triumphantly as she held aloft a lock of Marjani’s black hair. “I’m making sure that you never get to far away from me, Woman.”

“You think your ways are the best.” Marjani laughed. “But, honey, I got ways that done lasted far longer than yours. See, my ways got roots in honesty and peace. Yours are naked and cold. Mine will always win out over the darkness and shadows which you scurry in.”

“We’ll see, Woman.” Marie said, walking toward the door. “We’ll see.”

“Go on,” Marjani barked.

“Expect to feel me near you,” Marie chuckled. “With these strands of hair, you’re mind forever.”

“The Holy Mother will protect me.” Marjani shook her head.

“Woman, I done killed your Holy Mother long ago.” With that, Marie opened the bedroom door and sashayed out.

Marjani watched as Marie left her room. Grumbling, she hurried to find her dress. “Don’t you gentleman worry none.” She muttered to herself. “Marjani’s comin’.”

At that very moment far away from New Orleans, Arthur was admiring himself in an ornate pier mirror.

“Could have been made for me,” Arthur smiled at his reflection.

“’Cept they weren’t.” Gerard shook his head. “That fine suit of clothes was made for whatever man owns this grand house.”

“He ain’t here, is he?” Arthur spat. “So, now it’s mine. And, so is this.” Arthur walked to the dressing table and opened a delicate jewel casket.” He smiled at Gerard. “Put this in your satchel.”

“Come on, mate,” Gerard moaned as he stumbled with his bag. “Let’s hurry out of here. No tellin’ when someone’s gonna come back. You know a house like this has got servants. Someone’s due to find us and I don’t think we’re going to get where we’re goin’ if we end up in prison.”

“Relax, will ya?” Arthur said. “I’m just getting ready for the journey. Speaking of servants, let’s find their quarters. Gotta be a spare uniform around here.”

“For what?” Gerard grumbled.

“For you.” Arthr grinned.

“Me?” Gerard frowned.

“Sure, every fine gentleman needs a valet.” Arthur nodded.

“What are you sayin’.” Gerard narrowed his eyes.

“I’m sayin’ that our voyage will be a lot smoother if people think I’m a well-heeled gentleman and you’re my valet. Don’t you realize that if everyone thinks you got money, they’ll bend over backwards for ya? We can get to New Orleans in high style without payin’ a dime as long as we look like we’re good for it.”

“I won’t say you’re not clever,” Gerard scowled. “Because you are. But, let’s do hurry up, then.”

“There’s nothing to worry about,” Arthur laughed. “Nothin’ at all. I got it all worked out.”

“I hope so,” Gerard squinted.

“Now, Gerry, let’s get your wardrobe ready.” Arthur laughed. “We got a long way to go yet.”

Meanwhile, back in that dim New Orleans hotel room, Iolanthe clapped her hands impatiently.

“That’s enough whisperin’ between the two of you. I know what you’re sayin’ and I don’t want you thinkin’ that I don’t. Now, will you give us what we ask or not?”

“This is most unexpected,” Robert said.

“I told ya you’d have to pay us.” Iolanthe smiled.

“You didn’t say we’d have to pay with our lives.” Robert said.

“Don’t be foolish,” Iolanthe said. “It should be quite simple for you.”

“Listen, witches,” Punch spoke up. “We’re more than willing to give Ulrika the money she wants.”

“I knew that you would. Really, you two aren’t quite the imbeciles that you seem to be.” Ulrika purred.

Mr. Punch frowned, “And we’ll double that amount for you, Iolanthe. But we can’t do what you ask.”

“Why not?” Iolanthe hissed.

“Because it’s not possible.” Robert said.

“How do you know?” Iolanthe snarled.

“You’re asking me to cure your son. This note says that unless I cure your son of what ails him, you’ll take Colin from us.”

“It’s only fair,” Iolanthe shrugged. “One child’s life for another.”

“How can I cure the boy?” Robert asked. “I don’t even know what his ailment is.”

“He’s…he’s different.” Iolanthe sputtered.

“Mentally?” Robert asked.

“In part.” Iolanthe said softly. “But, physically, too. You’re a doctor. You can fix him.”

“Haven’t you brought him to other doctors?” Robert asked.

“Well, of course, I have.” Iolanthe shouted. “Don’t you think I’ve done whatever I could?”

“Then, what makes you think that I can achieve what they can’t?” Robert asked.

“Because them other doctors didn’t have as much to lose as you do.” Iolanthe answered plainly.

“Don’t do it, Chum.” Punch whispered, “it’s a trap.”

Robert took a deep breath. “I’ll do what you ask, Iolanthe. Or, I’ll try, at any rate.”

“I’ll bring him here right now.” Iolanthe smirked. “Then, we’ll see how good a doctor you are.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-222? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, April 18, 2011 for Punch's Cousin, Chapter 224. 

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

New Orleans is as filled with villains as O'Hare Airport has travelers and the pass through nearly as quicly. From the brief glimpses of the Ogre's child, it will take a miracle for Robert to provide a cure.

Joseph Crisalli said...

An excellent analogy, Dashwood. And, you're right. Robert certainly has his work cut out for him.