Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 220

Charles buckled his shoes and grunted as he stood up. “Not the most comfortable accommodations, I must say.”


“Really?” Barbara Allen grinned. “I had a very restful night. You’re quite nice to sleep next to.”

Charles blushed, “Thank you.”

“You’re not going to leave me, are you?” Barbara fluttered her eyelashes.

“I must,” Charles sighed. “I’m sure that His Grace and Dr. Halfax are not thrilled with me for not coming home last night.”

“I’m sure they have other things on their minds.” Barbara frowned.

“All the more reason that I should return to them. I do have a responsibility.”

“You have many responsibilities.” Barbara answered quietly.

“I do.” Charles smiled, pulling Barbara close to him. “And, you know that I take them all very seriously.”

“I do appreciate that you risked your position with my brother to stay with me last night.”

“You needed comfort.” Charles hugged her.

“I’ll never stop needing your comfort.” Barbara buried her face in his chest and breathed in his scent.

“I’ll return to you later.” Charles said, still holding her.

“Will you tell Julian that you’ve been with me?” Barbara asked.

“If His Grace asks where I’ve been, I’ll be honest with him.”

“Do you think that will jeopardize your employment?” Barbara asked.

“No.” Charles smiled. “I don’t. His Grace cares about you deeply. You’re not his enemy. You’re his sister. He doesn’t want you to suffer.”

“Does that apply to Mr. Punch as well?” Barbara joked, stepping away from Charles.

“It applies to all the many facets of His Grace.” Charles grinned.

“Would that I were so confident.” Barbara mumbled. “You’ll tell me, won’t you?”

“What’s that?”

“You’ll come back and tell me how my son is?”

“Of course.” Charles said reassuringly.

“Thank you.” Barbara looked to the ground, trying to compose herself. She took a deep breath and looked up. “Now, what am I to do with myself? I can’t go back to Marie’s. I certainly can’t go to Iolanthe. I’ll need to find some sort of position somewhere.”

“Why don’t you just stay here for a few days? You need the rest.”

“But, won’t your friend mind? This is his home.”

“Louis wouldn’t care. Besides, he won’t be back for several days.” Charles shook his head.

“Perhaps I will.” Barbara looked around.

“Good.” Charles said. “I’ll return as soon as I can.” He kissed her on the cheek.

“How can you be sure that Julian’s at their house?” Barbara asked.

“I can’t.” Charles shrugged. “I’ll start there. Surely Mr. and Mrs. Halifax will know where he is.”

“I hope so.” Barbara nodded. “Charles?”

“Yes?”

Barbara blushed. “Thank you.”

“Think nothing of it.” Charles winked.

Once he’d left, Barbara curled up on the pile of blankets on the floor and sighed. “I have no right to feel such joy.” She crinkled her brow. “I’m a married woman.” She thought of Arthur and wondered if she’d ever see him again.

Little did Barbara know that Arthur was also awaking on a bed of dirt. Grunting, he looked up and squinted into the sunlight. He rolled over and smacked his friend on the side of his head. “Here, Gerry. Wake up.”

Gerard grunted. “Let me sleep, you pig.”

“No!” Arthur shoved Gerard. “We got to get moving.”

“I’m hungry.” Gerard grumbled.

“You won’t be hungry much longer, mate.” Arthur growled. “But, if you want to get some food in your belly, you got to get up!”

“Fine.” Gerard yawned, sitting up and brushing the dirt from his arms. “Where we goin’ anyway?”

“To find my lovely wife.” Arthur grinned. “She’ll make sure neither of us is ever hungry again.”

At that very moment, back at the Halifax’s borrowed house on Royal Street, Marjani narrowed her eyes at Marie Laveau.

“Are you suggestin’ that I would want to have some association with you?” Marjani asked angrily.

“I think it would be in your best interest.” Marie said. “Woman, you should take advantage of this rare opportunity. You done got me to set aside my anger and think with my head and not my hate. It’s not somethin’ that happens too often and I don’t know how long it’ll last.”

Marjani spat at Marie’s feet. “No. There’s nothin’ that would make me crawl on the ground with you.”

“Let me put it this way, Woman,” Marie growled. “You join me or you die.”

“Kill me, then.” Marjani stiffened. “Go ahead.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-219? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Two excellent scenes. Marjani is a fantastically brave creature.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood! She is quite brave. Let's hope she knows what she's doing.