Thursday, April 7, 2011

Object of the Day: A Fiery Fleur-de-lis

After finishing The Garnet Red, my parents, Bertie and I traveled again to Louisiana where The Garnet Red (as well as much of Punch’s Cousin) is set. Of course, the emblem that is so closely associated with Louisiana, and especially, New Orleans, is the fleur-de-lis.


The Fluer-de-lis is an ancient symbol which has long been a heraldic representation of nobility of many cultures. It is, however, most often thought of as a French symbol, and therefore all the more fitting for Louisiana and its French history.

I purchased this fleur-de-lis as a souvenir of our travels. Cast in deep red glass, this paperweight has a delightful garnet glow which not only reminds me of our enjoyable journey, but commemorates the completion of my first novel.



No comments: