Sunday, April 3, 2011

Object of the Day: A Decoupage Box

The art of decoupage has been a staple of the decorative arts for centuries. In the Eighteenth Century, the process of applying paper cut-outs in a pattern on an object and then uniting the images with paint, gold-leaf and varnish was referred to as “Japanning.” Our Victorian forebears loved decoupage, and to me, there’s something innately Victorian about the look fo these pieces.


My mother made this lovely decoupage box for me. She collected an assortment of images which appeal to me: Aberdeen terriers, dramatic interiors, antiques, clocks, The Royal Family and typically English scenes. These images grace the exterior of the box. The interior is something of a surprise. On the inside, images of classic films stars have been arranged in a unique and wonderful pattern.

I just love this little box. Decoupage is still a popular art form. And, it’s something that you, too, can do at home.




No comments: