Friday, April 8, 2011

Object of the Day: A Caithness Collectors Club Pin

I haven’t changed much over the years. Sure, I’m taller and my hair is redder, but otherwise the same things that thrilled me as a kid, thrill me today. I’ve always had an interest in art and antiques—even as a child. In my early teens, I started collecting paperweights. You’ve all seen many of my paperweights here at Stalking the Belle Époque.


My parents always encouraged my interests in the arts and humanities and when I began collecting paperweights, they enrolled me in the Caithness Collectors Club. The artisans at Scottish Caithness Glass have been producing exceptional paperweights since 1961. They understand that collectors of their glass are always interested in finding out more about the items which excite them, and, so they founded the Collectors Club. As part of my membership, I received this attractive pin. A miniature paperweight of crystal and millefiori, it is marked “CCC.” I’ve kept this little pin for nearly thirty years and it still makes me smile.

These days, Caithness calls their club, “The Paperweight Collectors Society.” Membership is quite reasonably priced. If you’re a collector of paperweights and have an interest in Caithness Glass, joining the society would be a great way to learn more.



No comments: