Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 196

Marjani,” Cecil repeated, narrowing his eyes. His tone was calm, but his expression indicated that he was not interested in wasting any time. “Who is this child?”


“He’s Barbara Allen’s son.” Marjani answered honestly.

“Barbara Allen’s…?” Cecil grunted. “Don’t you mean that he’s Edward and Corliss Cage’s son?”

“You could say that.” Marjani flinched.

“This is where I expect you to tell me that Mr. and Mrs. Cage have paid us a call and have brought their child to play with Fuller. Perhaps Edward has come to offer me my position again.” Cecil grumbled—a sound which faded into a chuckle. “But, no, that’s not what you’re going to tell me. Is it?”

“No, Sir.” Marjani sighed.

“So, if I go into the parlor, I’m going to find a quivering Miss Allen in there. Aren’t I?”

“Yes, Sir.” Marjani answered.

“And, of course, my big-hearted wife has already agreed to help her abduct this child?”

“Yes, Sir.” Marjani replied again.

Cecil took a deep breath. “And, just what is your part in all of this?”

“Right now,” Marjani smiled. “I’m the one holdin’ the baby.”

“Bring him to the nursery, then.” Cecil shook his head and pressed his hands together. “And, then, come back to the parlor so that you might join me and Mrs. Halifax as we sort this out with Miss Allen.”

“I will do so, Sir.” Marjani nodded. “But, first I gotta give Gamilla her tonic.”

“Of course.” Cecil answered.

Marjani went on her way, but Cecil called after her. “Marjani?”

“Mr. Halifax.”

“Thank you.” Cecil grinned.

“For what, Sir?”

“For always being so honest with me—with all of us.”

“I don’t know how to be no other way,” Marjani shrugged.

Cecil chortled, and then grunted as he considered their situation.

He straightened his coat and walked briskly into the parlor.

“Ladies,” He began.

“Cecil!” Adrienne responded with wide eyes.

“Good evening, Miss Allen.” Cecil nodded toward Barbara.

“Good evening,” Barbara whispered nervously.

Cecil sat upon the settee in the center of the room and inhaled. “Now, ladies,” Cecil began. “I think it’s safe to say that I might be considered a patient man?”

“Yes, darling, certainly.” Adrienne answered quickly, sitting by her husband.

“But, I should tell you, my dear, that my patience is not limitless.”

“I know,” Adrienne nodded.

“So, imagine my surprise to find Marjani holding Edward Cage’s son.” Cecil continued.

“My son.” Barbara interrupted.

“Edward Cage’s son!” Cecil spat.

Barbara flushed.

“Is it necessary for me to ask why that baby is in this house?” Cecil asked.

Adrienne began to speak, but stopped herself. She shook her head. “You know why.”

“Yes, I do.” Cecil nodded.

“Mr. Halifax…” Barbara began.

“No.” Cecil held up his hand. “I don’t wish to hear you arguments and explanations.”

“Darling,” Adrienne patted her husband’s leg.

“Simply tell me what you need me to do to assist you.” Cecil smiled.

Meanwhile, Julian rubbed his temples as Robert continued to question Charles.

“Do you mean to tell me that you know for certain that your brother was involved in schemes to murder people?” Robert asked.

“Not just people,” Charles shook his head. “Wealthy people. He was hired by several prominent families to…well, to help them erase problems.”

“I believe you,” Julian nodded, still rubbing his temples. He was having a difficult time hearing what was going on the room. From within, Mr. Punch was chattering away excitedly. Julian felt as though he could feel Punch hopping around in his stomach.

“Thank you, Your Grace.” Charles sighed with relief.

“If this is the case,” Robert nodded. “You’re quite right to have fled his influence.”

“Gentlemen,” Charles said cautiously. “There is something I feel I should tell you.”

“I don’t think I want to know.” Julian said—trying to ignore Mr. Punch’s pleas to be released.

“I think you should know, Your Grace.” Charles answered quickly. “My brother has ties to this country as well. He has had considerable correspondence with Iolanthe Evangeline. They were connected by one of her associates—a man known as ‘The Professor.’”

Julian shuddered as Mr. Punch’s voice grew stronger.

“You see, Your Grace,” Charles continued. “This man was known to have had considerable contact with the Duchess of Fallbridge.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-195? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

Just more proof that evil is just a familiar and close anywhere in the world as it is at home. And good people show themselves everywhere if you just look.

Joseph Crisalli said...

True, Dashwood. Both good and evil are everywhere, so it's up to us to know with whom to keep company. Thanks for reading!