Monday, March 14, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 194

Barbara trembled as she sat down in the parlor of Julian’s borrowed Royal Street house. She clutched her son to her breast. The infant gurgled happily.


“I…I…don’t know what’s come over me.” Barbara whispered.

“Now, let’s remain calm,” Adrienne said soothingly. “Marjani and I both understand.”

Marjani frowned. “No disrespect meant, Missus Adrienne, but I can’t rightly say I understand.”

“Marjani,” Adrienne smiled softly, “Had you been separated from your Nontle, wouldn’t you have done anything to get her back? What about Columbia?”

“The difference, missus, is that I ain’t gonna sell Columbia and I sure as Hell—if you’ll pardon me sayin’ it this way—wouldn’t have given my Nontle to no one. I was a woman on my own when my husband died. Yet, I didn’t sell my chil’.”

“You had a husband,” Barbara said quickly—surprised at herself for arguing for the approval of a woman whom she’d have disregarded one year before.

“So, did you.” Marjani raised her eyebrows.

“Not a real husband. Not like you had.” Barbara blurted out. “I made a mistake. But, I’m trying to remedy it. I’ll always regret what I did. But, I didn’t know I had another choice! I was told that it was my only answer. Can’t I try to make this right? I’m alone. I have nothing. I have no one! Shouldn’t I try to make a home for my son?”

“He ain’t your son, no more!” Marjani spat. “He’s Corliss Cage’s son now. You gonna take him from the only mama he knows?”

“Please, ladies.” Adrienne interrupted.

“I don’t mean to overstep my place, Missus Adrienne,” Marjani sniffed. “Only I gotta say what I feel.”

“Nonsense, Marjani.” Adrienne smiled. “Your place in this house is equal to anyone else’s. You are free to say whatever you wish. However, our bickering isn’t going to advance this situation any further. Miss Allen is in trouble.”

“What have I done?” Barbara said, hugging the child close to her.

“You’ve done what any mother would wish—she’s retrieved her child.” Adrienne said firmly.

“The Cages ain’t gonna rest until they find this boy.” Marjani said. She looked at Barbara. “Honey, you don’t know them folk like I do. You don’t know what you’re dealin’ with. An’, what ‘bout Iolanthe, chil’? What’s she gonna do when she hears from Edward Cage that the babe they done bought from her’s been taken? These ain’t folks you wanna trifle with, honey. They’re not good folk.”

“Marjani’s correct about that,” Adrienne sighed. “We’ve got to get you on the first ship out of here.”

“Where?” Barbara said, still trembling.

“That I don’t know.” Adrienne shook her head.

“You’ll help me?” Barbara asked.

“I’ll certainly try, Miss Allen.”

“Why you should, I don’t know.” Barbara replied, her voice quivering.

“Because I’m a mother.” Adrienne smiled softly. “And though I don’t agree with the choices you’ve made with your life, I do support your desire to protect your child.”

“How we gonna do this?” Marjani grunted.

“Let me think,” Adrienne said softly.

“Honey,” Marjani whispered to Adrienne, “what’s your husband gonna say ‘bout this?”

“I confess that Cecil will not approve.”

“You ain’t gonna keep this from him?” Marjani raised her eyebrows.

“I don’t know yet.” Adrienne shrugged. “But, we do need help.”

“Julian said that he’d help me—help me get back to England.” Barbara added.

“Not with no chil’ you done stole from another family.” Marjani shook her head.

“I suppose not.” Barbara whispered.

“Don’t be so sure.”’ Adrienne said. “Julian has expressed to me that he wished his nephew would one day receive his rightful place. If His Grace resists the idea, I know that…”

“What?” Barbara asked.

“Mr. Punch will.” Adrienne said quickly, her eyes widening. “Though I couldn’t dare to play them against each other.”

“Honey, a house divided never stands.” Marjani clucked her tongue.

“Most houses aren’t as strong as our Mr. Punch and Julian.” Adrienne replied thoughtfully.

“What ‘bout Mr. Cecil?” Marjani frowned. “How strong is he?”

Meanwhile, upstairs, Julian leaned back as Robert sat on the edge of his bed. They both looked at Charles who blushed.

“I rather feel like a criminal.” Charles said. “But, I’ve not done anything truly dishonest. I’m simply trying to survive.”

“I can appreciate that.” Robert nodded.

“I know that Giovanni Iantosca is more than a little unpleasant, but why flee from your brother?”

“Because I couldn’t condone what he was doing.” Charles sighed.

“Aside from being a sour and belligerent man, he’s a well-respected artist who travels in celebrated circles.” Julian squinted.

“And leads a very opulent lifestyle.” Charles frowned.

“Not atypical in a man of great wealth.” Robert added.

“Wealth?” Charles laughed. “Giovanni exhausted both his inheritance and mine long ago. How do you think he can afford his wild way of life?”

Robert and Julian looked at one another.

“You told me that you were attacked and robbed in Covent Garden.” Charles said. “This happened just after my brother asked you for financial assistance. Yes?”

“Yes,” Julian nodded.

“Who do you think arranged that?” Charles raised his hands in the air.

“You’re not suggesting…” Robert began.

“That my brother orchestrated the attack against His Grace?” Charles nodded. “I’d stake my life on it!”



Did you miss Chapters 1-193? If so, you can read them here.

No comments: