Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Goal for the Day: Be Happy to See People

Again, more from the file of the “Wisdom of Dogs.” This morning, as I was taking Bertie for his “spa day” (the groomer), we stopped at a red light where the median was being tended by city gardeners. Bertie spotted them immediately and his ears perked up. When they crossed the street in front of my car, Bertie stood up, put his paws on the window and wagged his tail. I asked him, “Are those your friends?” His response was a plaintiff howl followed by the murmuring, squeaking noise he makes when he sees something he wants but can’t have.


As the light turned green and we hurried off, I couldn’t help but laugh. I’ve always thought it quite humorous that I’ve got the world’s friendliest dog, but I’m quite shy and reserved. Once again, I learned something from Bertie. While I’d certainly not have rolled down my window to wish the road workers a good morning, I should be happier to see people and find some excitement in the fact that the world is filled with other people who have ideas and voices. Bertie seizes every opprtunity he can to learn and discover. There’s no reason that the rest of us can’t do the same.

No comments: