Monday, February 28, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 182

Iolanthe Evangeline grinned at Ulrika Rittenhouse as she sat down across the flame-haired beauty.


“How good of you to return.” Iolanthe chuckled. “It seems you’ve come to your senses.”

“I wouldn’t say that, really.” Ulrika sighed. “However, you’ve given me little choice.”

“Did you bring what you stole from me?” Iolanthe asked curtly.

“I’ve brought what you deserve.” Ulrika answered plainly, producing a blue velvet pouch from her handbag. She handed it to Iolanthe.

Iolanthe unraveled the cobalt-blue twine which fasted the pouch shut and turned the pouch over into her hand. Into her palm, a sparkling blue stone rolled out. She held the stone between her fingers and studied it in the light.

Ulrika took a deep breath and tried to look nonchalant. She felt beads of sweat rise under her arms and along her hairline.

“I asked you for the diamond,” Iolanthe said calmly.

“And, now you have it. Now, please tell me where Arthur is.”

“I asked you for the diamond,” Iolanthe repeated, her voice still devoid of emotion.

“It’s in your hand.” Ulrika whispered.

“Surely you don’t think I’m an idiot.” Iolanthe answered firmly, putting the sparkling stone on the table.

“Of course not.” Ulrika replied.

“Then, what is this?” Iolanthe growled flicking the stone toward Iolanthe.

“It’s what you asked for.” Ulrika responded, her eyes widening.

“This? This faceted hunk of glass?” Iolanthe barked. “Oh, it’s a clever copy. I’ll give you that. But, did you really think that you could trick me with this cheap imitation? You think you’re smarter than ol’ Iolanthe. But, I don’t want you thinkin’’ that you are. Listen to me, you ginger cow, you’ll never fool me.”

“I don’t know what you mean,” Ulrika croaked.

“Don’t you?” Iolanthe rose, slamming her hands on the table which separated them.

“Iolanthe…” Ulrika began.

“No!” Iolanthe spat. “No more discussion! Clearly you don’t want your man back!”

“I’m sorry, Iolanthe.” Ulrika stammered.

“No, no, Girl, ‘sorry’ isn’t good enough.” Iolanthe shouted. “How stupid are you?”

“I’m not…” Ulrika argued.

“I think you are.” Iolanthe bellowed. “You’re a stupid, stupid girl! You’ve made a huge error here.”

Ulrika stood up and backed toward the door.

“But, I’ve made an error, too.” Iolanthe said softly—an eerie kind of quiet which frightened Ulrika more than all of Iolanthe’s shouting.

“You?” Ulrika rasped.

“Oh, yes, I have mistakenly thought that I needed you to return the diamond to me. That was my error. I don’t need you. I can get it without you. You…you are useless to me.” Iolanthe grinned. “But, you’re not entirely without use. Perhaps you’d be better utilized in other ways. Perhaps, my dear girl, perhaps you’ll be reunited with your man sooner than you thought…”

Meanwhile, at their house on Royal Street, Mr. Punch sat on the floor of Julian’s room playing with his dog and his puppet. As he did, he chattered to himself.

Robert opened the door and paused in the door frame for a moment. Punch hadn’t heard Robert enter and continued with his chatter.

“See, chums, I got a key inside me,” Punch said. “Wish I could play like you do. You—Puppet—with your empty head, and you, Toby, with your innocent dog soul. You got freedom. Me master and me, we ain’t got that freedom. Keys are ‘sposed to open doors and set things free, but this one will only weigh us down more. What do I do?”

“First thing you do is get back in bed, Mr. Punch.” Robert said gently from the door.

Mr. Punch grunted. “Here, when’d you come in?”

“Not long ago.” Robert smiled.

Toby trotted up to Robert, wagging his tail and muttering ins a series of barks and happy growls. The dog had picked up Mr. Punch’s habit of chattering.

Robert swiftly bent over and picked up the gleeful terrier who wriggled with delight in Robert’s arms. “Now, young Master Toby, don’t you think it’s time for you and Mr. Punch to take a wee nap?”

“Been doin’ nothin’ but takin’ naps.” Mr. Punch sighed.

“And, don’t you feel better for it?” Robert smiled.

“Dunno.” Mr. Punch frowned. “Maybe.”

“You do.” Robert grinned.

“Like I said, maybe.” Mr. Punch chuckled.

“My dear Punch,” Robert began. “You may be my ‘chum,’ but you’re also my patient. And, as your doctor, I insist that you get back in bed.”

“Fine.” Punch mumbled. “But, I ain’t gonna sleep.”

“We’ll take it one step at a time.” Robert winked.

Mr. Punch stood up and got back in bed.

Robert placed Toby, and then the puppet, in bed with Mr. Punch.

“I ain’t gonna sleep though.” Punch muttered.

“Why not?

“Too much on me mind—me minds.”

“You’re thinking about the ‘key’ that Naasir left behind?” Robert asked.

“Yes.” Mr. Punch nodded. “But, I’m also thinkin’ ‘bout what you and Adrienne said to me. Maybe it’s time to let me master open that door. But, in order to do it, I gotta go back in there with him.”

“Are you ready for it?” Robert asked.

“No.” Mr. Punch sighed. “But, are we ever really ready for things what we know will be difficult?”

Robert shook his head. “I’ll stay with you.”

“Thanks, Chum.” Mr. Punch said.

“Now, dear Punch, just close your eyes.”

“I will.” Mr. Punch whispered. “And, you’ll stay here the whole time?”

“I’ll never leave, Punch. Never.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-181? If so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

It sounds like Punch and Julian are headed for what doctors used to call "the crisis". Hopefully they can do that without too many storms swirling around from the outside as it takes place.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Well, yes, that's a good way to put it. The other storm-centers seem to be occupying themselves with their own peculiarities at the moment. Let's hope they continue to chomp on each other long enough to leave Robert and Julian/Punch alone.