Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 177

Get out.” Robert growled.


“Sir, let me explain.” Charles interrupted.

“You’re in no position to explain anything.” Robert spat.

Cecil rose and stood next to his brother. “I suggest that you leave, young man.”

“It’s not what it seems.” Charles argued.

“How could it be anything else?” Cecil answered gruffly.

“Perhaps we should let him explain,” Adrienne said softly.

“Darling, you’re thinking with your heart again. Always trying to find the good in people.” Cecil sighed.

“There is good in all people--some.” Adrienne smiled.

“Even Barbara Allen?” Robert asked.

“Thank you, Mrs. Halifax.” Charles replied. “Yes, you’re correct. My references are forged.”

“And just why did the former Lady Barbara assist you in forging these documents?” Robert asked.

“She’s trying to look after her brother.” Charles said.

“Really?” Robert laughed. “Were it not for that woman, His Grace would not be in the precarious position that he’s in presently.”

“Barbara knows that,” Charles answered. “And, Sir, she feels quite awful about everything that’s come to pass. She’s aware of her culpability. She came to me and quite honestly admitted everything that’s come to pass. Her words were so heartfelt and so honest…”

“And, how did you come to meet Barbara Allen? Do you frequent Iolanthe’s Bawdy House?” Cecil asked.

“No, Sir, she came to dress Miss Heralda’s hair. She’s no longer working for Iolanthe Evangeline. She works for Marie Laveau.”

“Oh!” Robert laughed loudly. “That’s hardly an endorsement for the woman.”

“Sir, she was honest with me. She told me that were I to come and work for His Grace it would be a good opportunity for me and for him. We chatted, she and I. She met me at Jackson Square and we had a long talk. She was very sincere and said she’d help me as long as I swore to help protect His Grace.”

“I understand that Barbara Allen is a comely lass and she can be very convincing. She came to our home with tales of heartfelt regret and heaps of lies about her desire to change and live an honest life. We took her in. And, how were we rewarded?” Cecil grunted. “She robbed us! She robbed us and returned to Iolanthe Evangeline and her lustful relationship with the man she calls her husband—a man who tried to murder both my brother and His Grace. She’s in league with treacherous people—Iolanthe, and, now, Marie Laveau. Because of her destructiveness and selfishness, she’s caused the death of her own mother, The Duchess, as well as contributed to the death of our Naasir. Because of her reckless disregard of human life—including the life of her own child—she’s endangered our entire family including His Grace. Now, she’s seduced you with tales of redemption and a false desire to see you furthered in your career? What does she care about you, Charles Van Eyck? How could she possibly care about you?”

“All of us have made mistakes in our lives, Mr. Halifax.” Charles said softly. “And, all of us have a chance for redemption. If you’ll pardon me saying so, Sir, I’m no fool. I can tell when someone is dishonest.”

They were interrupted by the sound of little paws trotting down the stairs and into the parlor.

“Toby.” Robert said looking to the dog. “What are you doing down here?”

“Perhaps he needs to attend to his natural instincts.” Adrienne said, standing up. “I’ll take him.”

“That ain’t it,” Mr. Punch smiled from the foot of the stairs. “He come down with me.”

“Oh no, no.” Robert shook his head. “Back to bed with you.”

“What’s that?” Punch pointed to Charles.

“You must be His Grace, the Duke of Fallbridge,” Charles bowed his head.

“Often,” Mr. Punch nodded.

“I am called Charles Van Eyck.” Charles nodded.

“What’s he want?” Punch asked Robert.

“Never mind about that, Mr., er… Your Grace.” Robert shook his head. “Let me help you back upstairs. You’re not ready to be on your feet. And, you, without your dressing gown. Just in your nightshirt. It’s too cold. You’re still feverish…” Robert put his arm around Mr. Punch’s waist and tried to lead him back up the stairs.

“I’m here in regard to the position of valet,” Charles spoke over Robert.

“Valet?” Punch snorted. “Naasir’s just in his grave.”

“I thought you could use my help.” Charles continued.

“That’s quite enough.” Robert interrupted firmly.

“Wait a tick, dear Chum.” Punch whispered.

“Punch…” Robert said softly into Julian’s ear.

“I wanna hear what the man’s got to say.” Mr. Punch smiled. “You said yourself we could use the help.”

“Not from this man.” Robert insisted.

“Why not?” Mr. Punch asked quietly. “He seems pleasant enough.”

“He’s in league with your, with Julian’s, sister.” Robert responded.

“Is he?” Punch grinned. “Well, isn’t that an interestin’ thing?” He looked at Charles and shouted, “Here, what you think ‘bout puppets?”

“I like puppets well enough, Sir.” Charles answered with a smile.

“What’d you say if we was to tell ya that I’m half man and half puppet?”

“We’re all puppets in our own way.” Charles nodded.

“True.” Mr. Punch nodded. “So, then, how is my sister manipulating you?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-176? If so, you can read them here.

4 comments:

Dashwood said...

As a human Mr Punch is becoming cagey. I like that. And quite witty.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Dashwood. Our Mr. Punch has gotten quite savvy. Given all that he's lived through in his short humanity, he's shown considerable pluck.

Darcy said...

It's good to see Mr. Punch back and in true form. I trust his instincts, and think he'll know how to deal with Charles,

Joseph Crisalli said...

Hi, Darcy! I think Mr. Punch has Charles figured out. Thanks for reading!