Saturday, January 22, 2011

Goal for the Day: Listen to Your Body

Our bodies talk to us. Most of the time, we ignore the signals. We’re usually too preoccupied with what we’re thinking and doing to pay attention to the impulses from the rest of our body. Yet, we should try to pay better attention. Your body communicates with you in a number of ways. It tells you when it’s hungry, tired, thirsty or in pain. Each feeling has a meaning. When we ignore those feelings, we are basically injuring ourselves.


If your body says it’s thirsty, drink some water. If your body is hungry, have a light snack. If you’re tired, stop what you’re doing and rest. Admittedly, I’m not very good about listening to my body. I come from the school of thought that stipulates, “You must carry on with what you’re doing, no matter what.” But, I’m beginning to realize that if I pay better attention to what my body needs, then I’m more likely to feel better, to have more energy and to have a clearer mind.

We live in very complicated machines which are programmed to survive. We have a better chance of comfortable survival, if we just listen to our natural instincts.

No comments: