Monday, November 1, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 85

Julian shuddered. “I’m thankful that she’s alive.”


“Do you wish to see her?” Adrienne asked softly.

“Yes.” Julian nodded.

“Julian,” Robert shook his head. “I don’t know…”

“She is my sister, Robert.” Julian replied gently. “If you and Cecil were quarreling, I still think you’d wish to continue to help him regardless of how you were feeling.”

Robert paused for a moment and coughed softly. “You’re correct. I would.”

“I’ll bring her up,” Adrienne said.

“Julian, I just wish to caution you.” Robert said, “I don’t want you to become overexcited. You need to be resting comfortably so you may recover. I’m merely concerned that Barbara is coming here to try to manipulate you.”

“I’m sure she is.” Julian smiled. “However, perhaps I can convince her to return home and leave this misguided life that she’s chosen. I am not without hope that everything can be restored.”

“You continue to amaze me,” Robert smiled. “Perhaps you’re correct.”

Adrienne showed Barbara into the room.

“Shall I leave you?” Adrienne asked.

“No,” Barbara spoke up. “Please, stay. I know that I don’t deserve your compassion, however, I think you can help me, Mrs. Halifax. You know the treachery of that monster—Iolanthe Evageline. You know how easily a young woman can be seduced into her world of debauchery. You managed to escape. I can only hope that you’ll help me escape, too.”

“I would like to.” Adrienne nodded, “If you’ll allow me to.”

“Please.” Barbara said, trying desperately to keep the falseness from being evident in her voice. “And, you, Dr. Halifax. I owe you the most sincere of apologies. You see, I’ve judged you unfairly. Perhaps it’s because I associate you with a trying and shameful time of my life. However, I know that you were doing your duty when you…attended to me. For that, I should be grateful. Can you forgive me?”

Robert looked at Barbara suspiciously. “I can forgive anyone who apologizes sincerely.”

“Oh, I am sincere.” Barbara gushed.

“No, you ain’t!” The words flew from Julian’s mouth.

Robert and Adrienne grinned at Mr. Punch’s reappearance.

“Oh, Julian, you’re doing your little pantomime. How sweet.” Barbara said, drawing in a deep breath.

“You know well as I do that this ain’t a pantomime, Barbara. I’m a person what’s got a voice of me own, too. And, I’ve got a few matters what I’d like to talk ‘bout with you.” Mr. Punch sat up angrily.

Meanwhile, Arthur wandered slowly toward the deep, murky red water of the swamp at the base of the hill.

“Well, you’ve taken your time, haven’t you?” Ulrika cooed from behind a bank of trees.

“What is this place?” Arthur sniffed.

“They call it the Bayou Vin Atténué.” Ulrika grinned. “Isn’t it glorious, really?”

“It smells foul.” Arthur frowned.

“You must experience it with your other senses.” Ulrika said. “Stop being so common. Look around you—look at the crimson water. That soil from La Colline Cramoisie has bled into this bayou for a century. It’s the color of gem stones from the orient. That’s our trade, you know. Gem stones.”

“Thought you people grew sugar cane.” Arthur grunted.

“Oh, we do, but Father is exploring the gem trade. I do believe that we’ll be quite successful at it. The Rittenhouse Mining Company! Can you imagine?”

“Them that’s got the most always gets the most.” Arthur sighed.

“You can have it, too, Arthur.” Ulrika grinned devilishly. “I can introduce you to the world you’ve only been a part of as a servant. Artists, beauty, galas, riches beyond your wildest dreams!”

“Sure, you can.” Arthur laughed. “No, let’s stop this foolishness and get about doin’ what you asked me here for.”

“Arthur, it can be so much more.” Ulrika embraced the man.

“Right. Don’t forget, Pet, that I’m married to a woman who’s got access to a lot more than your family ever got.”

“Does she?” Ulrika batted her eyelashes. “From what I can see she’s a fallen woman and a servant. One doesn’t usually associate that with an elegant lifestyle.”

“We’ll get what’s due us.” Arthur chuckled.

“Not without the diamond.” Ulrika smiled. “The diamond that I hid for Barbara in the stables.”

“We’ll find it. Once they clear away that rubble, we’ll find where you buried it.” Arthur shook his head. “Even if you don’t tell us. And, once we get that beauty to Iolanthe Evangeline, Barbara and me will start our grand life together, we will.”

“You’ll never find it.” Ulrika laughed cruelly. “Because I already have it.”

“It ain’t yours to keep.” Arthur grabbed Ulrika by the wrists.

“Nor is it yours,” Ulrika squealed. “But it can be.”

“How?” Arthur spat.

“You just have to do one little task for me.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-84? If so, you can read them here.

6 comments:

Dashwood said...

It would appear that our Punch doesn't ever retreat very much below the surface. It's good to have an internal protector.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Oh, he's always close at hand--especially as he and Julian grow more similar. Let's hope he remains well-behaved. Thanks for reading!

Fran said...

That's the problem isn't it. THey're all drinking the weird water there and that's why everyone in that town is nuts! It's always so exciting!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I had never thought of it that way, but that's probably the reason. It's the water! You're very clever, Fran! It's always so nice when you come by!

Darcy said...

Julian is lucky to have Punch to speak up for him with his sister, an alter ego can say things a brother might have trouble saying. Although with a sister like Barbara I don't think he needs be to careful about hurting her feelings.

Joseph Crisalli said...

How true, Darcy. Considering how often Barbara has told Julian that she hates him, he'd be justified in saying anything he liked to her. However, Julian isn't really wired for conflict. Mr. Punch, however, seems to have no issues with it whatsoever. Good to see you!