Saturday, October 23, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 78

Robert took a deep breath and coughed. “Marjani, Naasir, I hope you’re both aware of what you’re doing.”


“We are, Sir.” Naasir responded.

“We all need to keep our wits about us.” Robert continued. “Now, I’m just as guilty of it as the rest of us. I don’t fault anyone for it. However, we can’t go around with pistols and vials of poison. Ours is to bring these people to justice, not to act as their judge. They’ll be judged when the time is right.”

“This ain’t no poison.” Marjani groaned. “Dr. Halifax, I done give my life up for to make folk well. You don’t think I’m gonna go ‘round poisonin’ people, do ya?”

Robert looked stunned. “I just assumed.”

“Well, no disrespect, Doctor, but you done assumed wrong.” Marjani laughed.

“If it’s not a poison, what is it, then?” Cecil asked, rubbing his ankle.

“It’s a powder.” Naasir began.

“Well, we can see that, then, can’t we?” Mr. Punch grumbled.

“A special powder, Sir.” Naasir continued. “When diluted in liquid and consumed by a person, it encourages their positive spirits to rise to the surface.”

“So, it’s Voodoo.” Robert said flatly.

“Call it what you like, Dr. Halifax.” Marjani grinned. “But, I’m tellin’ you for true, it does the trick.”

“Well, what happens when their positive spirits ‘rise to the surface’?” Cecil asked gruffly.

“Mr. Halifax, then they tell the truth. All the awful things they got in their hearts are released. Once they’re free of their burden, they can turn their hearts to joy.”

“If that’s the case, then, why don’t we just fill the ocean with the stuff and live in some kind of Utopia?” Cecil asked sarcastically.

“Cuz, Mr. Halifax. It only works when it’s done given from the hand of a prince.” Marjani said seriously. “Naasir is that prince.”

“Huh.” Punch grunted.

“And when the prince can borrow strength from one of the great ones—like the Great Man of the Rocks here—his power is all the stronger.” Marjani continued.

“Rubbish.” Cecil spat.

“Now, Brother, don’t let’s be so dismissive of their beliefs. There is something to be said for faith.” Robert responded hoarsely.

“You’re not serious?” Cecil raised his eyebrows.

“Cecil, there’s no harm in believing in something. Sometimes when you believe, things actually work.” Robert frowned.

“You’ve gone mad from your fever.” Cecil grumbled irritably.

“It makes just as much sense as wandering out in the night with a pistol.” Robert spat.

“Ha.” Mr. Punch whooped. “Me chum got you there.” He looked at Naasir. “Here, how’s Naasir gonna borrow me strength?”

“You will both need to pour the powder into the drinks.” Marjani answered. “I was going to help. I am not without my own power. However, Arthur, Barbara and Miss Rittenhouse have demons inside them that are stronger than me.”

“What does Miss Rittenhouse have to do with this?” Robert asked. “You don’t mean the girl—what’s her name? Erica?”

“Ulrika.” Cecil corrected him. “You’ve seen her. Don’t you think she’s got a demon in her?” Cecil laughed.

“She’s got a lotta things in her.” Punch frowned.

“She and Arthur been carryin’ on. Barbara Allen is terrible angry.” Marjani shook her head.

“Arthur certainly is a popular fellow,” Robert squinted. “I find it rather curious since he’s so terribly odious. He’s not bad looking in a rough sort of way, but he’s utterly lacking in charm.”

“Some women like that.” Marjani shrugged. “Miss Ulrika—she likes jus’ ‘bout anything.”

“Charming.” Robert sighed.

“So, we give this powder to ‘em, and then they’re ‘sposed to have their goodness come out?” Mr. Punch asked. “But, what if they ain’t got no goodness in ‘em?”

“Everyone has some good in them, Sir.” Naasir said softly.

“Don’t be so sure.” Cecil grumbled.

“Here, I’m up for it, then.” Mr. Punch said gleefully. “Not as much fun as hittin’ with a stick, but it should be a lark. After all, Arthur’s the man what poisoned us. Seems only fair I should put somethin’ in his drink. This, at least, won’t hurt him like he done me chum and then I don’t have to worry ‘bout havin’ killed him this time.”

“Marjani,” Robert said. “You really can’t think that involving Mr. Punch in this is a wise idea.” Robert lowered his voice. “I hate to say it, but he’s not the most inconspicuous person in the world.”

“Can be…whatever it is what you just said.” Mr. Punch frowned. “Listen, babies and dogs like me fine. Don’t see why I can’t be ‘spicious.”

“All I mean, dear Punch, is that you tend to get overexcited. You might risk getting yourself in more danger.”

“Bah!” Mr. Punch grunted. “I can do all sorta things, I can.”

Marjani nodded. “That you can, Sir.”

“So, when do we do it?” Mr. Punch asked.

“I don’t think I can agree to this.” Robert shook his head.

“You must, Sir!” Naasir blurted out. “You must—it is written!”

Robert leveled his eyes at Naasir. “I’ve been very patient with you, Naasir, since you insinuated yourself into our lives. I’ve grown to like you and to trust you. However, in matters that concern Lord Julian, I will speak on his behalf regardless of what you say is written and what isn’t. He is a man—a human man and for all of his warmth and charm, he’s not in the best of health. I’m not just his companion, but his physician. I will decide what he does and when.” Robert’s body shook with a fit of coughing.

“I should think I would have a say in what me master and I do.” Mr. Punch said softly. “I’m half of him, I am. It ain’t just Julian in here.”

“I know,” Robert answered. “I’m sorry, Mr. Punch. Of course, you have a say. I’m your companion as well as Julian’s. When I said ‘Julian’ just now, I meant…all of that…” He waved his hand at Julian’s body. “Both of you.”

“I understand,” Mr. Punch smiled. “It is confusin’.”

“Quite.” Robert chuckled. He looked to Naasir. “I don’t mean to offend you, Naasir.”

“I am not offended, Sir. Your reaction does not surprise me.”

“I wouldn’t guess that it would. Nothing seems to surprise you. It seems you already know everything in advance anyway. You’re just terribly quiet about it.” Robert sighed.

Cecil cleared his throat. “If Mr. Punch wants to be a part of this, I think it should be his decision. He will act in everyone’s best interest. If this is—in some small, strange way—a means of defeating Iolanthe Evangline and removing her from my wife and child, then I will have the faith that you so heartily promote. I’ll have faith in this voodoo and I’ll have faith in the abilities of Mr. Punch and Naasir.”

Robert pressed his lips together. “I’m outnumbered. Very well, Mr. Punch. The decision is yours.”

Punch grinned. “Can I carry the powder?”

At that very moment, in the stables, Ulrika and Barbara continued to argue. Arthur, on the other hand, paced uneasily across the straw. He had heard the shots from Cecil’s pistol and had a feeling something was terribly wrong.

“So, you’re his wife?” Ulrika spat. “Really?”

“Yes.” Barbara bellowed. “We were married when we docked.”

“Yet you were still willing to lend your husband to me?” Ulrika smirked. “Not a very wifely act, is it?”

“A deal is a deal.” Barbara frowned.

“Then, let’s strike a new deal.” Ulrika narrowed her eyes.

“Quiet!” Arthur growled.

They paused and heard scratching at the stable door. Within seconds, the door slid open.

“Professor!” Arthur gasped, his eyes widening.

The professor walked into the stable, carrying Iolanthe Evangeline’s limp body. He gently placed The Elegant Ogress on the hay. Blood gushed from her shoulder.

“Well, then, Arthur, not so dead after all.” The professor bellowed.

“Who is this woman?” Ulrika demanded. “Who are you? What are you doing on my family’s land?”

“A girl dressed like you are in a stable with the likes of these two in the middle of the night ain’t got no right to ask me questions like that. So, shut your mouth.”

“What’s happened to Miss Evangeline?” Barbara rushed to her employer’s side.

“Been shot.” The Professor grunted. “Lost a lot of blood.” He grinned at Barbara. “Gonna need some of yours.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-77? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday, October 25 for Chapter 79 of Punch’s Cousin.

No comments: