Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 27

Julian screamed. When he opened his eyes, he was blinded by the sharp sting of hot crimson. He put his hands to his face and shuddered as he wiped blood away.

Someone was gripping him by his shoulders. He blinked rapidly, but each flutter of his eyelids seemed to scrape against his eyes. Julian’s entire body shook in spasms. “Let go of me!” He shrieked.

“Julian, it is I, Robert.” The doctor whispered softly.

“What’s happened?” Julian wiped at his face again, his sweat and blood marrying in streaks across his cheek.

“There was a scuffle on the deck. I’m afraid you were caught up in it.” Robert responded in the same hushed tone. “You’re in your cabin now, and I’m tending to you.”

“My head.” Julian groaned, his voice shaking. “They’ve split my head.”

“No, no. It’s just a scrape. A scalp wound bleeds terribly, but it’s nothing serious. You’re perfectly fine.”

“How?” Julian shut his eyes and let Robert wipe his face with a damp cloth.

“We were watching the Guignol show.” Robert explained. “There was a bit of trouble. Just horseplay, and you were accidentally struck in the head.”

“I don’t remember that.” Julian trembled.

“I know you don’t.” Robert whispered. “But, it doesn’t matter. You’re safe now.”

Julian’s vision began to clear and he looked down to see blood spattered on his shirt and waistcoat. His coat had already been removed.

“We’ll need to get you into some fresh clothes.” Robert said.

“Robert,” Julian responded pleadingly, “please, please explain to me what has happened.”

“I have,” Robert smiled.

“No. No, you haven’t. You’re keeping something from me. I didn’t go on deck. I didn’t leave this cabin. I don’t remember the Guignol show. I don’t know how or why I’m bleeding. Please!”

“I found you on deck watching the puppets. You became upset and, unthinkingly, grabbed for the Guignol figure. When you did, the puppeteer jumped up and toppled the puppet theater. That’s how your head was struck.” Robert said simply. He did not mention that Punch and an angry Frenchman in the crowd had come to blows. He did not mention the fierce profanities that Punch had shouted. Nor did he mention the taunts and jeers of the group who had gathered to watch.

“That is not something that I would do.” Julian gently touched his aching head.

“No, I should think not.” Robert put his hand on Julian’s shoulder. “However, it’s not unusual for someone to react in strange ways when he’s just had upsetting news.” He couldn’t bring himself to tell Julian about Punch. He knew that Julian wasn’t yet ready.

“My father…” Julian sighed, tears welling in his already pink-rimmed, puffy eyes.

“Yes.” Robert nodded. “Arthur told me of the contents of the letter from the Duchess.”

“I can’t believe it.” Julian sobbed. “His throat was cut. Thieves jumped him—just as they did me in Covent Garden…” Julian choked. “But, Father was…” He coughed, gagging. “I wasn’t…”

“Julian, please,” Robert helped the shaken man lean back on the cushions of the narrow bed. “Don’t speak anymore. Not now.”

“Robert, do you ever get the sense that you’re speaking even when you aren’t?” Julian asked.

“I don’t understand.”

“When we speak, we think and the words issue forth from our mouths. Yes?” Julian said slowly.

“Yes.”

“Sometimes, I think, and I feel as though words are coming forth, but I’m not saying them. Yet, the chatter keeps going. Always this humming in my head. Songs and poems, anger and words and thoughts that aren’t mine. Visions and memories that I can’t place. Things that I can’t see yet I know are there.” Julian winced. “’In Scarlet Town, where I was born, there was a fair maid dwellin’. Made many a youth cry well-a-day…her name...”

“Barbara Allen.” Robert finished the thought.

“You know, don’t you?” Julian asked. “Why won’t you tell me?”

Robert put his feet up on the bed and sat cross-legged in front of Julian. He took Julian’s hands in his.

“I promised someone that I wouldn’t have this conversation with you, but I…well, Julian, I can’t continue to keep it from you. I feel too much…”

“Who did you promise?” Julian asked.

“Punch.” Robert said.

“Punch?” Julian raised an eyebrow, the motion of which made his wound inflame and begin to seep blood again. “A puppet?”

“What you were telling me about the voices and thoughts that aren’t yours, Julian—they’re not yours. They’re someone else’s. They’re Punch’s. He lives within you. I don’t know how or why. I don’t really understand it myself, but I know that there are two distinct entities which share your body. One of you is a gentle, fragile soul, the other is…stronger. He’s…”

A convulsion rippled through Julian’s body as blood dripped down his face and into his eyes again.

“You mean to tell me that I’m possessed? By what? A demon? What?” Julian gripped Robert’s hands.

“No. It’s not that. That’s not possible.” Robert said quickly.

“What, then?” Julian became frantic.

Robert squeezed Julian’s hands in return. “I don’t know. We’ll figure it out—together. You’ve suffered a great loss today, and you’re coping with this journey…” Robert paused as he noticed Julian’s hands becoming stronger.

“Save your breath, Doctor.” Punch laughed as the blood from Julian’s wound dripped onto the bed. “Julian’s gone. And, you, Sir, broke your promise. Now, what do you think I should do about that?”



Did you miss Chapters 1-26, if so, you can read them here.

2 comments:

Dashwood said...

At some point Punch and Julian will have to face each other. Hopefully Julian will be up to it or, if not on his own, have Halifax be truly a champion to help in the resolution.

I cannot wait to see.

Darcy said...

Mr. Punch is scary, but I don,t think he'll really hurt Robert because in some ways he needs him as much as much as he needs Julian. I hope Robert is not a false friend, Julian needs all the help he can get.