Saturday, August 7, 2010

Punch's Cousin, Chapter 12

You’re my…champion?” Julian said as he sat down in a terribly uncomfortable wooden chair at the corner table in the “Smoking Room” of the Hyperion.


“I am.” Robert Halifax smiled. His smile was not like Arthur’s. This was a genuine smile. Still, Julian didn’t trust it. Smiles had a way of hanging in front of both teeming pools of danger and great empty voids. Julian thought of Punch’s smile.

“How do you figure?” Julian asked, fumbling with the ring on his index finger.

“Take that ring, for instance.” Robert pointed to Julian’s hand. “You designed it.”

“Yes.” Julian nodded.

“You were considered the new elite jeweler in Mayfair until last year when you departed.” Robert continued.

“Mr. Halifax, how does that…”

“Please, let me continue.” Robert Halifax held up his hand. “You left London to return to Fallbridge Hall. Officially, the explanation was that you had returned home to be with your family and assist in the preparations for Lady Barbara’s marriage. However, the real reason you left was because you were attacked at Covent Garden.”

Julian stiffened in his chair and looked intently at Robert Halifax.

“After that, you suffered from some…shall we say, issues with your nerves.” Mr. Halifax smiled gently.

“I imagine you have some point.” Julian responded in a deep voice which wasn’t entirely his own.

“I do. You see, Lord Fallbridge. You may not know me, but I know all about you.” Mr. Halifax said.

“I know that you’re on your way to Louisiana in search of your sister, Lady Barbara, who has fled England to escape her intended marriage to the Sixth Baron Marsden. I know that you are uncomfortable with any sort of travel and, in fact, feel quite out-of-sorts anywhere outside of your home. I know that you’re traveling with your valet, Arthur Mowbry, and that you booked your passage at the last minute.”

“These things are common knowledge, Mr. Halifax. You could have learned about that from any of the gossips who entertain themselves with the comings and goings of the people in my class.” Julian replied stiffly. “I think you are presumptuous to state that you ‘know’ me.”

“How could he possibly know me?” Julian thought. “I don’t even know myself.”

“I shall reveal all that I know in time, and I shall explain the reason that I can be so forward as well. Just be patient.”

“I don’t have to BE anything.” Julian rose from the table. “You are impertinent, Mr. Halifax.”

“Maybe so, Lord Fallbridge, but you need me.”

“I most assuredly do not.” Julian squinted, surprised by his forcefulness.

“Really? You intend to grapple with ‘The Elegant Ogress’ on your own?” Mr. Halifax smiled, extending his hand to Julian again in an attempt to get him to sit down.

“Pardon me?”

“Iolanthe Evangeline. They call her, ‘The Elegant Ogress.’ I am correct in my belief that your sister has been in communication with this woman?”

“You are.” Julian raised an eyebrow.

“Do you know who she is?” Robert asked. “Do you know what she is?”

“No.” Julian sat down again.

“She is…shall we say, a woman of ill-repute who runs a house for other such women. In New Orleans, I believe they would call it a ‘bawdy house.’”

“Barbara is going to…” Julian gulped, feeling the fire in his stomach again.

“Yes.”

“So, why is this Evangeline woman called, ‘The Elegant Ogress?’” Julian asked.

“Because she’s a murderess, dear boy, a butcher in the most elegant finery.” Mr. Halifax smiled.

Julian leaned back.

“I can help you.” Robert Halifax nodded.

“Why?” Julian asked. “What do you want in return?”

“I’ve told you enough for one day. We mustn’t overtire you. I’m sure you’re more than a little fatigued from…everything.”

“You can tell me now.” Julian said softly. “What is this all about? Who are…” Julian shut his eyes.

“Who are you to…” Julian opened his eyes again. When he did, Robert Halifax was gone. Julian looked frantically around the room. All he saw through the thick haze of cigar smoke was the door to the deck closing.

Julian rose and followed.

Squinting into the mist on the deck, he saw no one except a group of third-class passengers carousing near the rail.

Julian’s usual low-hum of anxiety once again was heightened to a roar. He staggered away from the rail, fearful of falling in.

Could he find his way back to his cabin?

He walked in what he hoped was the right direction and, for once, wished Arthur would appear.

As he walked he listened to those people by the rail. They were singing. Julian knew the song well. It was a folk song he used to sing to Barbara when she was a girl.

In Scarlet Town, where I was born,
There was a fair maid dwellin'
Made every youth cry well-a-day
Her name was Barbara Allen.



All in the merry month of May
When green buds they were swellin',
Young Jeremy Grove on his deathbed lay
For love of Barbara Allen.




He sent his man unto her then,
To the town where she was dwellin'.
"You must come to my master dear,
If your name be Barbara Allen,


For death is printed on his face
And o'er his heart is stealin'.
Then haste away to comfort him,
O lovely Barbara Allen."



So slowly, slowly, she came up
And slowly she came nigh him,
And all she said when there she came,
"Young man, I think you're dyin'."


“Young man, I think, you’re dying…” Julian repeated to himself. “Young man, I think, you’re dying.”


Did you miss Chapters 1-11?  If so, yo can read them hereCome back on Monday, August 9, for Chapter 13.

3 comments:

Darcy said...

Wow! This is exciting.

Dashwood said...

Well, what a point at which to leave one in suspense! Not even the pleasure of being reminded of the rest of the words to Barbara Allen.

This is a wonderful story. Julian's discomfort is almost palpable.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thank you, Darcy and Dashwood. I'm sure we'll be hearing more of "Cruel Barbara Allen" as Julian's journey continues.