Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gem of the Week: The Glorious Garnet

Victorian Garnet Earrings from A. Brandt & Son
No surprise, but I am intrigued by garnets. Their deep red color, reflected in brilliant flashes of orange, white and crimson, imbue them with a sense of immediate life. Much debate surrounds the origin of the word, “garnet.” Some believe that the name stems from the Middle-English word, “gernet” meaning “dark red.” Others think that the word refers to the Latin, Punica granatum, specifically the seeds (or grains) of the pomegranate. Regardless of the origin of the name, the garnet has been revered since the Bronze Age. While most of us immediately think of the classic burgundy garnet, the gem naturally occurs in six species. Other than red, garnets can naturally be green (called tsavorite), blue, purple, gray, orange, yellow, brown and pink. The English, during the reign of Queen Victoria, had a great passion for the garnet. Often clustered in ornate settings, the garnet was considered a suitable gemstone for both day and evening wear.


While writing The Garnet Red, I traveled with my parents and Bertie to New Orleans to celebrate my thirtieth birthday. While we were browsing the beautiful antique stores in the French Quarter, I came upon a Victorian garnet ring, inscribed with the name “Joe.” Though I’ve never been called, “Joe,” it was close enough. I took that as a sign. I enjoy wearing that ring because it reminds me of that trip and that I am in control of my own destiny. The sense of the everlasting makes for the true beauty of gemstones. The sentimental attractiveness of the garnet is the perfect example of that concept.

No comments: