Thursday, July 22, 2010

Goal for the Day: Dust off the Heirlooms

While we certainly wouldn't want to wear a valuable family heirloom to mow the lawn, there are certain times to bring out those beautiful pieces you have, but never use.  Perhaps you have your grandfather's ring.  Why not wear it out to dinner on Saturday?  Your mother's watch...she left it to you so you could enjoy it.  Wear it to work one day!

This just doesn't apply to jewelry.  Do you have a set of china, crystal or sterling that's been in the family?  Take it out and use it for a holiday dinner.  Yes, of course, everyone should be very careful with it.  But, you should use it.  I believe that our antiques and beautiful possessions lose some of their spirit if they're not used.  We do want to treat them with respect, but what good are they if we don't see them?

Not only are you bringing some style to your everyday life, but it's an excellent way to remember the people we loved and the time we spent with them.

1 comment:

tudorcrazy said...

I have been fortunate enough to have gorgeous family heirlooms, particularly plate. My father passed away several weeks ago, and I have been given my grandmother's gold coalport china from tiffany's. I started serving cake on them for my bridge game, and when I receive the rest of the service for 12, you can know I will use it.
I also have a beautiful Rosenthal set that was my bridal china pattern, and foolishly left it boxed for years. I have unpacked it and started using that as well. There is no question that tea and coffee tastes better in a china cup. and that goes for sterling too.
I wear all my jewelry when I get to go out, and let my children wear pieces that they will inherit.
I was lefyt with some lovely cufflinks with sapphires that were my grandfathers and would very much convert them to rings for the 4 girls, but know it would be very expensive. Timing isn't just right. BUT I totally agree that beautiful things should be used, regularly. There is something very comforting about using you great grandmother's spoon on your grand mothers plate.